Chapter 16

Chapter 16

The next couple of weeks flew by, and soon enough, it was already winter break.

"Why th-th-the hell is it s-so c-c-cold?" I shivered, my teeth chattering.

Jax only laughed at me as we walked down the street back from Piazza's. The clouds loomed overhead and cast a gloomy shadow over all of New York. Snowflakes drifted from the sky softly and melted on my winter coat and hat.

"Not like Texas weather, is it?" he chuckled, pulling me into his arms as we walked.

Shaking my head, I let the heat from his body seep through my clothes and warm me. Plus, the heat from my blushing was keeping me pretty cozy now, too. And the goosebumps weren't from the coldness anymore.

Jax squeezed me tight like a stuffed animal. "Don't worry, you'll get used to it."

I tilted my face to glare at him. "You're saying that you're used to this crazy zero degree weather?" I scoffed. "Psycho."

He laughed full on, which made me smile. "Oh come on, it's not that bad. We're almost home."

The instant Jax opened my front door for me, since my hands were currently frozen and stuffed in my pockets, I bolted inside.

"Ahhhh..." I sighed, standing in front of the fireplace which I probably should have shut off when we left. But now, I didn't care. I just wanted some heat.

Jax slipped off his coat and then mine and hung them on the hooks near the door. "I'll make you some soup. Is chicken noodle okay?"

Smiling at Jax, I nodded. "Yes, thank you."

Minutes later, we sat on the sofa in the living room with our bowls of hot soup. I had warmed up completely now, all thanks to Jax.

"How's your art studio coming along?" he asked.

I nodded. "It's almost finished. I just need to get my paint easel from one of the shipping boxes and then I'm done."

"Good. And when the snow clears up, we can go out to the tree house and paint it up. What color?"

"Maybe blue?"

He nodded. "Sounds good."

Briiiing!

"The phone," I sang while getting up, "The phone is ringing!"

Jax chuckled behind me. "There's an animal in trouble..."

"There's an animal in trouble, somewhere!"

Laughing, I picked up the house phone and answered with a smile on my face. "Hello?"

"Hello, is this June Proctor?" a woman asked.

"Yes ma'am."

"Miss Proctor, this is Nina Jerren from Brooklyn Medic Hospital. I'm sorry to tell you this, but your father was taken into the hospital ten minutes ago from a severe car crash. We'll need you to come down right away."

My smile instantly fell.

"Miss Proctor? Are you there?"

But I had already bolted out the door.

●●●

"Come on, June! You can do it!" Dad called out to me as I pedaled down the street at a fast speed. Legs pumping, heart racing, and a huge smile on my face.