Chapter 34

Chapter 34

When Jax rested during the day, I would usually stay around to make him lunch or keep him company when he was awake. We had gone through hundreds of movies during the past few weeks of him healing, and even though he seemed to be content with the calm and peace, my mind was constantly stirring.

I just know that Cody was involved in Jax's crash. I felt it in my chest. Whether or not Kylie was also involved, I had no clue, but wouldn't be surprised if the two spawns of Satan joined to take down a guy they both hated. Plus, I had seen her look suspicious before the incident.

Looking over at Jax, I watched him, making sure that he was deep asleep before reaching over and taking his phone. Thankfully, he didn't have a passcode, so I was able to quickly get to his messages.

I felt gross looking through his phone, but this was for an important cause. Scrolling way back until I found him and Kylie's old text messages, I clicked on their conversation. I did my best to ignore the old flirtatious texts between them as I scrolled up and up until I got to the beginning where she had sent him her address.

Bingo.

Quickly copying it down in my phone, I exited his messages and returned his phone back to the nightstand, careful to not wake him. Then, slipping out of bed, I grabbed my things and headed out.

Suddenly, I was a woman on a mission. A mission to wreak havoc onto the two people who hurt Jax. Just thinking about Cody and Kylie's faces made me want to scream, but instead I mapped her address and took the bus to her house.

Naturally, Kylie's house resided in a gated community, and a security guard was posted at the entrance. Well, guess I'm climbing the fence.

This wasn't exactly the most ideal situation to be in, but I had to find some evidence. No one was investigating Jax's wreck, all because they all thought it was human error; just another kid losing control of his race car.

I scaled the wall back another 50 yards before I found a spot that I could climb over easily without the guard noticing me. As quietly as I could, I barely grabbed the top of the stone wall before pushing up with my feet, hauling myself over the top and into someone's backyard.

Shit. Okay, just lay low.

Thankfully, no one seemed to be home, so I quickly ran over to their fence and exited onto the neighborhood street. Checking my map, I saw that Kylie's house was only a few streets away and started walking in that direction. Looking up, I noticed that the sky was beginning to turn grey, the clouds churning with the wind as the air grew colder. A storm was setting in, and I needed to hurry.

When I got to her house, I saw that there weren't any cars parked outside. Could be a good sign, but I wasn't sure, so I creeped around to the back of her house and hopped the fence.

Did I have a plan? Not really. Was I scared shitless? Definitely. If I were caught, there would be no doubt that Kylie would do everything in her power to bring me down, and if Cody found out, there's no telling what he was capable of.

I tiptoed around to their empty back porch, keeping low beneath the windows. Once I got to the patio door, I peeped my head up, checking to make sure no one was inside.

Seeming like the house was conveniently empty, I slowly pulled the door handle and pushed it open enough for me to slip through. Closing it quietly behind me, I looked around at her house. With the back door unlocked, either they feel safe enough in their neighborhood to worry about thieves or someone was home.