Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A week later, I was back at school and had just finished my last day of cafeteria duty. And it wasn't as bad as I had thought.

Libby and Casey, the cafeteria ladies, were nicer to me than anyone had ever been in a long time. And helping out with the food serving was an actual part of the day that I would look forward to.

Currently though, Jax and I were walking to the local lumberyard to get more wood since school had ended. And since it was technically illegal for us to be trespassing and stealing the wood, we were tiptoeing.

"Who has time to cut down all this wood?" I asked, looking around the yard which was stacked with tons upon tons of wood planks, logs, boards, and other things.

"A guy named Kurt. And trust me, he is not a friendly dude." Jax answered.

Ten minutes later, we had filled our backpacks with as many small planks we could until my back was sore from carrying it all and I had a million splinters.

"Hey!"

Jax and I froze in our tracks. Looking over my shoulder, I saw a tall, stocky man at the front of the yard.

Holding a shotgun.

"Run!" Jax yelled, and boy did I do just that.

We sprinted off towards the gates that we had climbed, and now carrying our wood filled backpacks, this would be a tough mission to accomplish.

"We can't go over! The bags are too heavy!" I called to Jax, who was a good ten feet in front of me. Damn, he can run.

"Come on, we'll have to go another way," he said, stopping to look around. I stood beside him in panic before we both heard the unmistakable sound of heavy footsteps behind us.

"Shit." We both muttered.

Running faster now, I spotted a flipped over canoe at the edge of the fence. Pulling him towards it, we took off our backpacks and hid them behind a wood pile.

"Under here," I said, lifting it up and sliding underneath the dark and dusty canoe. I waited for Jax to slip under, too, and right as we lowered the canoe, I saw the angry Kurt round the corner we had just come from.

Our breathing was fast, shallow, and filled with exhaustion. But eventually, I started to giggle.

"Shh!" Jax whispered, covering my mouth with his hand. He was lying on top of me, since there was no room to lie side by side in the one and a half foot wide canoe, and was making me squeamish from our close proximity.

He was literally a breath away. Our faces just mere inches from each other. My breathing had slowed, and so had his, but the rapid and wild thumping of my heart had only increased.

Jax slowly slid his hand off of my mouth and rested his forearms on either side of my head; bringing us undeniably closer.

I could feel his long legs entangled with mine; his hard, solid chest pressed up against me; his hot breath fanning my face...

Crunch.

We both stiffened like statues. Kurt was right outside the canoe. So close that I could practically feel his stare.

Looking up into Jax's wide eyes, I felt unsure and terrified.

Crunch, crunch, crunch. The footsteps neared even closer now. Each step making my heart race more and more.

Then I heard the sound of tires on gravel as it pulled into the lumberyard. Suddenly, Kurt turned away and his footsteps retreated back around the corner.

Just for precaution, we waited in tense silence for another minute before letting out a breath that I hadn't noticed I had been holding.

I looked up at Jax and began to chuckle. Then that chuckle turned into a full on laugh. And soon enough, he was laughing along with me. There we were, under a cobweb filled canoe; laughing.

When we finally got out from under it, I brushed the dirt off my jeans and turned to him. He looked a little embarrassed, for some reason. And then I saw it.

His boner.

He seemed to know what I was thinking since he hurriedly grabbed our backpacks, handed me mine, and turned around completely to begin walking.

"So uh, wh-what color should we paint the, um... tree house! Yeah, that's what it's called," he mumbled, shaking his head.

Nice subject change, Mr. Smooth.

Acting my best to seem cool and collected, I decided to tease him a bit. "Why so red?" I asked innocently, looking at his pink colored cheeks.

Jax glared at me. "You know why..."

I giggled. "Is it because you got aroused, Jax? There's no need to be bashful."

He stared at me in shock and hissed. "Stop! It's embarrassing!"

I scoffed, enjoying this way too much. "What, that you got a boner?" he looked even more mortified.

"I'm a guy, okay? And when you're pressed up against a girl under a tight canoe, and that girl is... is..."

I cocked an eyebrow amusingly. "Is what?"

He swallowed, quickly running his eyes over my body. "Is really, really, well made-"

I threw my head back and laughed. "Well made? That's the best you can do?"

He only rolled his eyes and hurried his pace. "I'm done with this conversation."

I caught up to him. "Well I'm not. This is golden stuff, Jax."

He didn't answer me or say anything the whole way to the exit. Once we made sure we weren't being chased by crazy shotgun carrying lumberyard men, we slowed our steps and relaxed. Well, at least I did. Jax was still ignoring me.

"Hey, earth to Maynor. You gonna talk anytime soon?" I waved my hand in front of his face.

He said nothing.

I harrumphed. "Guess not," I mumbled.

When we reached the tree house, I stopped him before he climbed up.

"What?" he asked, avoiding eye contact.

I cocked my head and raised an eyebrow.

Sighing, Jax looked up and met my smile.

"Let's forget that anything happened, okay?" I wavered.

We clasped hands and shook them.

"Deal."

●●●

Hola mis amigos!

How was your week? Hopefully it was superb, like you.

*smoooooothhhhh*

I don't even know, it's 2 in the afternoon and I just ate five donuts so I'm a little crazy in the head.

But guys, like seriously, we have an important topic to discuss.

CHICK-FIL-A IS CLOSED ON SUNDAYS.

I HATE IT. Every Sunday I'm always like, "Hey mom, let's go get some chicken, yo." And then she's like, "Uh, it's closed, Anne. Sunday, remember?"

And then I throw a fit and cry for like two hours because I just want some dang Chick-fil-a.

Of course, I respect the owners of Chick-fil-a who are Christians, so they want to take Sunday off to worship or just take a break.

But man do I want some chicken on Sunday.

Anyways, have a fantastic day, much love,

-Anne :)