Chapter 22

Chapter 22

JUNE

    Three days passed since Jax and I's first real date. Two days since my dad could stand and stay awake for more than three hours. One day since Jax won a race... again.

    But today, a gloomy, cold, rainy and dark day, I felt more alive than ever. Honestly, I enjoyed the rain; loved it, even. There was something about the sounds of water hitting the windows and the smell of wet grass that made me happy.

    "Where to, princess?" Jax said to me and we got on his bike to head out for lunch.

    "Stop calling me that," I grumbled. "I'm not a princess."

    "To me you are," he winked before speeding off.

    We soon arrived at a cozy little café and went inside. Since it was the beginning of February and the weather still varied on the verge of ice cold, coming inside to a toasty place made me feel a lot better.

    After we ordered some soup and bread, we went and sat down at one of the tables by the windows.

    "Did you tell your dad about us yet?" Jax asked immediately.

    With the spoon of soup raised halfway to my mouth, and sighed and put it back down. "Yes, I did."

    His eyebrows shot up. "And...?"

    I shrugged nonchalantly. "There's not really much to say. He was a little confused at first but told me that he had kind of expected it all along."

    Jax let out a breath of relief. "Oh thank God."

    "Why are you so relieved?" I laughed.

    "I don't know, really. Just thought that he might have wanted to decapitate me or something."

    "Not my dad. Besides your racing, he thinks you're the purest boy on the planet. A saint."

    Jax leaned forward so that he was inches away. "But we both know that's not true."

    Blushing, I sat back and admired him as he drank up his soup. Such a simple thing could make my heart beat faster. His dark hair had grown a bit since the first time I saw him, and now some parts fell down to his eyes. The intensity of being around him always had me on the verge of falling.

    But I think I already was.

    "Jax, what a nice surprise seeing you here."

    Looking up, I saw a boy about our age smiling down at us. Remembering him as Cody, I looked over at Jax who had frozen.

    "Hello Cody," he barely acknowledged, nodding his head.

    "June," Cody looked over at me with a sly grin, as if he knew a secret that I didn't. "Beautiful, as always."

    I heard a quiet growl from Jax.

    "Hi Cody," I said as politely as I could. "What are you doing here?"

    "Just getting some lunch. I was starving after my work out, so many heavy weights that I lifted and..."

    As Cody went on, bragging and bragging, I looked over at Jax from the corner of my eye and saw his jaw tick. Fists white from clenching them too hard, he shifted uncomfortably in his seat until Cody finished.

    "Well, I should get going and leave you two to your little date," Cody said. Then, turning to Jax, he smiled cockily. "And I'll see you at the next race."