How To Make Friends On Your First Day

My next period English passed in a blur, and the next thing I knew it was time for lunch. I sluggishly made my way to my locker, purposefully taking my time. I’m sure Iris and her friends were milling about the halls somewhere and I didn’t want to stand in some corner searching the cafeteria for them awkwardly. But if I was late, I would definitely be able to spot them as I waited in line to get some food.

Reaching my locker, I spun the combination that I had written on my hand in dark blue ink. It was a little smudged from this morning, but it did the trick. I placed my copy of “The Man and The Sea” by Earnest Hemmingway in the bottom of my locker. The book was slightly tattered from previous years but it didn’t matter because I had my own copy at home. It was a short book, and I only really bought it because of the author, but I find it oddly relatable. There was nothing special about the plot of this book, yet it held so much meaning. The simple actions held so much weight that it was hard not to deem it a classic in my eyes. It reminded me of life, how the smallest of things can have the biggest of meanings.

I stared blankly into my practically empty locker, and checked my phone just out of habit. I find that people tend to do that when they’re alone and don’t want to seem lame or even if they’re just bored. In my case it was the former, deciding that I had killed enough time I meandered my way to the cafeteria. The room was buzzing with noise and I could hear the forks scratching against plates, and greetings being thrown at people from all over the room.

Making my way to the cafeteria line, I took my wallet out of my bag and tried to decide what I wanted. Pizza. You can never go wrong with pizza, it’s sort of become a customary food in North America and everyone I’ve ever met likes pizza. It's always the first thing people think of when they want to order something.

I grabbed a black plastic tray from the stack on my right, and put a single slice of cheese pizza on it, with a can of coke. The lunch ladies were rushing the line through, trying to keep everyone moving, and the Asian woman merely glanced at my food and told me the cost. I gave her the correct change and smiled politely as I exited the line, but I doubt that she even saw it.

Quickly scanning the room I saw Iris at a table with two guys and three other girls. They were all laughing at something that the black haired guy said. All six of them were beautiful. It’s not that they looked like models, it’s just that you could tell that the girls put thought into what they were wearing, and that the guys actually showered.  I made my over to their table, stopping in front of Iris so she could see me, “Hey Iris”.

Iris looked up at the mention of her name, recognition flooding her eyes as she took me in. “Hi Sara, here come sit down,” she told me as she scooted over on the bench making room for me. “Guys, this is Sara, she’s new here and we met in Chem,” she addressed her friends at the table. I gave everyone a shy wave and quietly uttered a hello. “Sara I would like you to meet Christine, Honey, Lucy, Greg, and Matt”.

As she mentioned each of their names, she pointed to the individual she was talking about. Honey had the most gorgeous brown hair with blonde highlights; funnily enough the colour reminded me of honey. Lucy was a short girl with a tiny stature, and a pixie haircut, she looked fierce yet friendly at the same time. Christine was a bit bigger than the other two girls; she had a curvy body and big breasts that were accentuated by her grey v-neck.

The guys were drool worthy, each in their own way. Greg had a nerdy hipster look going for him, it was utterly cute and just made you want to pinch his cheeks, he seemed like a real sweetheart, the type of guy who carried your books and opened doors for you. Matt had black hair that was shaggy which made him seem alluring when combined with his lean body. You could see the outline of muscles through his shirt which made me believe that any girl would say yes to going on a date with him.