Blooming Love?

I was feeling refreshed when I woke up this morning, something about the bright sun flooding my room had put me into a good mood. By the time I made it to English class, my happiness had not diminished despite the homework I got in chemistry this morning.

Striding into my English class, I paused in the entrance surprised to see Greg and Honey. I didn’t know that they had been in this class yesterday. They waved me over, when they spotted me still standing there and I took a seat next to Honey.

“Hey didn’t know you were in this class?” Honey squealed excitedly focusing her attention on me, “We’re going to have so much fun, isn’t this great sweetie?” she directed the last part to Greg. Greg merely nuzzled his face in her neck causing Honey to blush. They were honestly adorable together.

The teacher called for the class’s attention and started discussing the book she handed out yesterday, and some themes we should be looking for. She told us to turn to the people around us and discuss our thoughts on the first chapter that we were supposed to read last night.

Facing the couple next to me, I shared my thoughts about the relationship between the Old Man and the boy in the first chapter. I don’t think they were paying any attention to me, and I felt like an awkward third wheel sitting next to them. They were holding hands, and playing footsie underneath the desk. Don’t get me wrong it was sweet that they cared about each other this much, but it was a lot to handle being so close to them. I think that maybe next time I’ll sit somewhere else.

The period finally ended, and I was desperate to escape the loving duet in favour for company that was in the single variety. I ran into Lucy and we both joined the line together for food, today she was wearing black shorts with layered tank tops, and a studded belt around her waist.

“Hey, what’s up?” she asked as we waited patiently in line.

“Ugh, I just sat next to Honey and Greg in English. It’s painful how much they like each other. I felt like I was constantly intruding on a moment that they were sharing,” I explained with a slight frown on my face causing Lucy to laugh at my misery.

“It’s okay, it happens to all of us. They’ve been dating for two years now but they both look at each like it’s the first day they’ve fallen in-love. I’m a little jealous of that though, and it can be pretty intimidating when you compare it your own love life,” she sighed wistfully at the end probably imagining a prince charming of her own sweeping her off her feet. We joined the others at the table, and chatted about random things.

“My parents are going out of town this weekend and I was thinking we could have a movie-marathon at my house,” Christine suggested tucking a strand of her curly auburn hair behind her ear, “and we could have a bonfire with marshmallows and everything”. The idea sounded great and it was the perfect excuse to avoid my house over the weekend. There were murmurs of agreement from all sides of the table and it looked like it would be a full house at Christine’s.

“Okay let’s meet at my place on Saturday, bring your swimsuits because we might go to the beach,” she continued. Plans were forming for the rest of the lunch as we fought over what movies to watch, who would bring the popcorn, and what else we wanted to do. I mostly just agreed with what everyone was saying not caring about the specifics.

The rest of the week passed and I fell into a familiar routine. Wake up, go to school, eat lunch with the gang, more school, go to the beach to read, make dinner, force my mom to eat, bed, and then repeat. I was getting comfortable in the groove, and things were looking good. Matt and I were spending a lot of time together joking around and goofing off. He was a really sweet guy and he knows just what to say to make me laugh. I’ve become closer to him than anyone in the group and it was nice being able to call him a friend.