Opened Eyes

Author's Note: Not sure how satisfied I am with this chapter so I may fix it later. The content will remain the same though.

I was lying still, wrapped in flushed skin and dark blue sheets, basking in the warmth of Matt’s naked body pressed against my own. It was moments like these that I wanted to spend the rest of my life living in. The kind of vulnerability that comes from showing someone else your entire soul and having them look you in the eyes after it was all over as if you were still the same person. Sex never changed anything for us, and that is what made this work.

Matt’s arm was slung over my body keeping me secure as I delicately traced swirls and random patterns on the back of his hand. Each indent and rise was a valley or a mountain, and I was willing to travel through the blistering deserts a thousand times to experience this tranquil afterglow.

The barely audible sound of keys in a lock made me freeze, the unknown pattern I was tracing coming to an end. The door opened, and the sound of plastic bags rustling against one another invaded my senses.

“Shit,” Matt whispered, jumping up from the bed and rushing to clothe his nude form before someone walked in and discovered our compromising position. I was sure if Eliana found us like this it would be my last time stepping foot in her house as a welcome guest.

“MATTTT COME HELP WITH THE GROCERIES!!!” Lily screamed from the entryway, oblivious to the fact that Matt was not alone up in his bedroom. I was a precarious secret of his, kept hidden from friends and family due to society's disapproval. Their belief that what we had was wrong or could not exist if we did not love one another. I cared for him, and he for me. But that was it.

“Coming,” he replied, pulling a maroon shirt over his head. “When you’re dressed just come downstairs,” he told me before bolting out of the room and down the flight of stairs seperating him from his family, his heavy footsteps resounding in the house due to his speed.

I gathered my scattered clothes from the ground, quickly throwing them on my body before searching his room for a hairbrush or a comb. When I couldn’t find one I resorted to running my fingers roughly through my tangled black hair before throwing it in a ponytail. Straitening my silver laced tank top one last time I smiled at myself in the mirror before slowly making my way downstairs to join the rest of the Storm clan.

“Would you like some more help?” I asked Eliana who stood in her kitchen putting food away in its proper place while Matt and Lily continued to bring bags in from the car. It seemed like every time I saw Eliana she was in the kitchen doing something, always cooking or baking while humming quietly in the air, filling the room with a sweet melody. She always looked at peace with herself and I envied that in a sincere way.

“Oh sweetie, I didn’t know Matt had invited you over,” she replied at the sight of me. “No, it’s okay. They’re almost done,” she assured, a secret smile on her face. I hope she doesn’t have any wild fancies about Matt and I secretly dating, because that would be one awkward conversation that I would not want to be a part of.

“Are you staying for dinner?” she asked. I wasn’t planning on it originally it. I was just coming over to see Matt and then I was going to leave, as if I was never here. I liked disappearing, my footprint unseen by the other residents of this house like a ghost. I didn't want to be a permanent fixture in their lives, I always had one foot out the door and I didn't want my absence to ever come as a shock because one day I wasn't going to be here. 

“If it’s not any trouble,” I politely replied, it was rude to deny an invitation whether it was for a meal or weekend soiree. But regardless of not wanting to offend Eliana, I wanted to stay anyways because the Storm family was always so upbeat and enjoyable. Any amount of time spent with them reminded me of the days in the park I was always so fond of.