The Calm Before The Storm

Author's Note: This chapter is just a filler and kind of boring. I'm not even sure if I like it so I may change it later. But it's actually gives a lot of clues that you won't find out about till later. Muhuahuaha! The next chapter is going to be interesting. I'm excited just writing it.

“Hey mom, I’m home!” Matt yelled into the house as he kicked off his black converse shoes, only to pick them up and place them neatly underneath the mahogany bench that was seated at the entrance.

“I’m just in the kitchen, lunch will be ready soon!” she hollered in response, her voice carrying through the rooms like a sweet melody over the sound of pots clanging. Motioning for me to follow Matt lightly grabbed my hand and dragged me into the kitchen with him. His mom stood over the stove, stirring a pot of what I assumed to be pasta.

“I brought a friend for lunch. I hope that’s okay,” Matt said to his mother whose back was still facing us.

“You know Greg is always welcome here sweetie,” Matt’s mom replied over her shoulder, tucking a strand of her thick black hair behind a delicate ear with a single diamond piercing. Pivoting in her spot, the beautiful smile on her face temporarily morphed into shock till she quickly composed it, plastering a genuine smile on her face once again. Her eyes crinkled at the sides, making her look tired and worn despite the energy she was exuberating.

“Oh my, you’re definitely not Greg dear. Sorry I’m Matt’s mother, Eliana,” she apologized, wiping her hands on a light blue checkered dish towel that was situated right next to the pot she was stirring. Reaching out for a hug, her warm embrace surprised me but after a second my stiffness melted and I returned the gesture.

“I’m Sara,” I informed Ms. Storm as she returned her attention to cooking, but kept her eyes on us, darting them every so often to her son as if she was communicating some unknown message to him. Glancing up at Matt he looked a little uncomfortable

 “I’m making farfalle carbonara. You’re not a vegetarian are you? I haven’t added it yet, I can leave out the bacon if you’d prefer,” Mrs. Storm rushed out, letting out a breezy laugh at the end, probably realizing how doting she was being.

“No, bacon sounds delicious,” I easily assured. I hadn’t had bacon in a long time despite the fact that it was always one of my favourite things to devour for breakfast. It was a combination of the crispiness and the salt that always made my mouth water in anticipation.

“We’re just going to go up to my room till lunch is ready,” Matt blurted out, adding a slight inclination at the end, as if to ask permission from his mother. I doubt she would object to it though because her demeanour just seemed so nurturing and bubbly that it was hard for me to imagine her as strict.

“Just leave your door open!” she called to us as we turned leaving the kitchen the same way we came. The notion was a little ridiculous, I mean sure Matt and I have had sex before (*cough last night), but neither of us would be so brazen as do have sexual intercourse in his house in the middle of the day with his mother cooking away in the kitchen. I always prided myself on being a little edgy and taking risks, but the likelihood of being caught was just too probable for me to chance it.

We approached the creamy beige carpeted staircase that was by the entrance to his house. The walls were lined with family photos, the varying sizes and frames creating a jig-saw appearance that made the house exude an aura of homeliness. Stopping at the bottom of the stairs, I took my time gazing at all the faces and smiles in the pictures. There were many family photos, there was tiny Matt probably only two years old with another girl who looked one or two years older, her black hair was braided neatly to one side and she had her arm tightly gripping around Matt with cheesy smiles planted on their chubby faces.