Hiding In Plain Sight

Author's Note: Sorry that I've been so absent from Wattpad, but if it is any consolation I've been ignoring all my friends and family too.

Apologies for the short chapter too. But there is still more to come with this story. Sara's story isn't close to being over yet.

Summary of last Chapter:

In the last chapter Sara was home alone when Christian paid her a visit. He sexually abuses her until seemingly falling asleep. Sara uses this as her chance to escape and runs downstairs to call for help. By the time she decides who to call, Christian finds her and beats her. As punishment Christian then brutually sexually abuses her until she finally breaks. He leaves, cleaning up before he does so. The chapter ends with Sara sitting on her couch as her mother returns home from her business trip. When her mother sees her, she repacks her suitcase and leaves without a word choosing to ignore the obvious bruises littering her daughters face.

Her skinny limp body was covered in bruises that had begun to fade, only faint yellow splotches decorated her frame. Those marks would be easy enough to hide with make-up now.  She lathered the nude cover-up over her wrists, watching as the ugly discoloration vanished leaving a perfectly toned hue in its wake. She gazed at me with her frigid brown eyes that were so murky and dull; they almost seemed black as coal. With a single hard blink, I remembered the lifeless girl in the mirror was me. 

Today was my first day going back to school, and I was determined to leave no signs as to how my break was spent. All bruises hidden with make-up, clothing covering every inch just in case I fell under any scrutiny, I was not going to let everyone gossip about what had happened to me, I was not going to let anyone find out. My mother made it clear enough when she walked out of the house that she could not handle this anymore, and quite frankly I could not blame her. I was half in denial myself. But there wasn’t much she could do anyways; moving again would be pointless, he’d find me wherever we went.

Staring at my reflection I looked normal enough. That is if you could ignore the hard frown that my sullen lips were set in. I tried forcing them into an easy-going smile, but instead of my eyes crinkling in joy the skin seemed taught like it was being pulled in an unnatural direction, as if someone was using clothesline clips to keep my face that way.

With a sigh of resignation, I realized this was as good as it was going to get. I would just have to fake my way through the rest.

Settling into my silver Toyota, I lazily made my way to school. The trees passed by in a blur of murky browns and sewer water greens, all details losing focus as my brain refused to process what I once saw as beautiful lush scenery. Without much thought, I found myself in the parking lot, my car neatly tucked into a back corner away from the herds of students milling around the property. Reaching for the key in the ignition, my hand shook. Just a slight tremor, but I formed a first to beat the apprehension that was slowly dawning on me away. Was I ready for this? All I could manage was a simple curse under my breath in response. 

Who was I afraid of hearing me, when I was sitting so far from the student population in the isolation of my vehicle?

I wanted to scream to resurrect the slight dignity I had lost by whispering, but I’d imagine how insane that would look to others. I didn’t need people questioning my sanity now; it would be too much of a hassle. How did I used to do this before? Strut into public buildings like I didn’t have a care in the world, laugh amongst friends who never saw the dark circles under my eyes, how was it so easy then?

He had never been so demonic before, I had never misbehaved to a degree that warranted anything more than a bare-handed spanking. That night was new. Those days were new. Lying in my own urine was new. 

Rapidly throwing open my car door, I dry heaved desperately trying to empty the contents of my stomach but only a clear liquid escaped my raw throat. My breakfast consisted of gnawing on worries of when Christian would return, my appetite long forgotten. This strangling sensation that wrapped around my body in an unforgiving vice begging for me to crawl back to the sanctuary of my house and hide from the world was also new. 

Gently pulling the car door closed, I shut my eyes tilting my head back against the headrest. I counted my breaths till I felt my heartbeat calm, slowly opening my eyes to reality once more. The parking lot was empty. Damn it, I missed the bell. I guess certain things are easier to put out of mind than others. 

Instead of rushing off to my first period class with a half-baked excuse for my tardiness, I continued to sit in the silence studying the bold letters that spelt out Rosewood High. 

First period passed, then second, and still I sat unmoving. A few students trickled from the front doors likely dashing home or to the burger joint down the street; their presence reminding me that it was now my lunch period.

Stepping out of my car I exhaled, my breath floating out before me, trying to escape. I wanted so desperately to escape. I stared at the school with its expansive entrance beckoning me forward, softly singing that my sanctuary awaited. An ache stabbed at my chest and I rubbed it through my clothes though it did nothing to soothe the dull pain. Without further hesitation I answered its call, glad to escape into the hectic-ness of school from the emptiness of home. 

As I approached my locker, Matt was leaning against it, his tall figure hiding it from my view. He was carelessly typing away on his phone causing me to stop a couple steps in front of him, waiting for him to notice me. What I wanted him to notice though, I wasn't entirely sure.

"Hey," he said noticing my presence. All I could do was roll my eyes and make a shooing motion with my hands, silently asking him to move. He obliged, taking a couple steps to the left but he did not leave.

"I'm sorry, okay? I was acting like a complete ass and I should never have said any of those things to you," he pleaded trying to achieve my forgiveness. Oh right. I almost forgot about that. I wanted to laugh, he was so insignificant right now that I did not even care, could not bring myself to care.

The only thing on my mind was Christian, every time my eyes fluttered shut he was there. His image stalking me in my sleep but even when I was awake he followed me, encasing my focus. 

"That's fine," I replied not even sparing him a glance as I exchanged the textbooks in my bag for the ones I'd need this morning. I hope there wasn't too much that I had missed.

"That's it?" Matt questioned in disbelief. I don't know what he was expecting but I guess my answer was not it. Halting my actions, I closed my locker and turned to look at him for the first time, our gazes meeting. His eyes looked so warm and inviting like a chocolate river I could swim in, but mine felt cold like ice.

The prospect of not having to feel like a desolate orchid was inviting. It wasn't like I felt eclipsed by darkness, on the contrary I could see the light shining brightly all around me but I alone was the single withering flower unable to bloom. My petals turning grey, and no one seemed to notice. With a careless impassiveness emanating from my body, I responded in a clipped tone, "That's it". 

"Do you care at all?" I couldn't tell if he was still talking about his apology or about him calling me a disgusting whore, but I had this feeling that it was something more. But to be frank I was over it all, over trying to find something or someone that would make me feel human again. I had already resigned myself to be that withering orchid.

"No". And that was it. As soon as that single syllable left my lips, I turned on my heel and left. There was nothing more that needed to be said. 

"Bitch" he muttered under his breath almost too quiet for me to hear as I walked away. But that single word was the last thing my mind registered before I faded away into the background of lockers and books for good.