Chapter 11 - Evidence To Fudge

Chapter 11

"We have confirmed that ten high security prisoners have escaped" I read aloud, staring down at the daily prophet's print. Fudge was walking quickly across the main floor of the Ministry, surrounded by reporters.

"They're blaming Sirius" I whispered, more to George, even though Fred was sitting beside him.

I didn't look at him. It hurt to look at him. God, I missed him. It'd been over a week since I'd had a proper conversation with him, since I'd hugged him or even touched him really. He hasn't asked me about it, but I can tell he knows something's up with me, because he always sends me these sad looks when he thinks I'm not looking. I hate that he thinks he's done something wrong, but I just can't be around him, or these feeling will never go away. I hate and love to be around him, and it's messing with my head.

It hasn't been too hard to find an excuse to not be around him as my internship restarted with Reginald the day after what happened with Seamus, and Fred has never asked me what's going on, though I can tell he's itching too. I can only assume Roze told him to give me some space. She probably mentioned I had a ton of work to get done by tomorrow that Reginald gave me.

"Eric Stanzer" I read aloud, holding the photo of a pretty nasty looking death eater. His mark was clear on his arm and his face was scarred from ear to ear.

"High risk" Reginald said. I added Stanzer to the pile of high risk dark wizards. We'd been at this all morning. As far as the beginning the internship after Christmas break goes, this wasn't very interesting.

"Aella Burns" I asked, staring at the photo. This woman looked so innocent, with long flowing blonde hair, a pink polka dot dress and the bluest of eyes. Although those eyes gave her away. They looked as if they'd consumed a thousand souls, and would do it again.

"High risk" he answered. Another for the high risk pile.

The next photo caught me off guard as I looked at the man and then the name. Stephan Blackthorne. He was a dark wizard I'd heard Sirius talk about over break. He was terrorizing wizarding villages, recruiting for Voldemort. The stories Sirius was telling left me with cold shivers. I automatically started reaching for the high risk pile as I asked, "Stephan Blackthorne".

"Low risk" Reginald answered, making my eyes snap to him. His head was down as he filled out paperwork.

"Low risk?" I questioned, furrowing my eyebrows together in confusion. Reginald didn't look up. "Mmhm, low risk. He's not too dangerous".

I thought back to the stories Sirius was telling. Did I get the name wrong? I don't think- I must have.

Reginald knows better than I do though. I placed the profile in the low risk pile. Once we were finally finished classifying profiles, it was time for me to get back to Hogwarts.

"Here" Reginald said as I stood to leave. He handed me a heavy bound book, with letter inscribed on the front cover. My eyes widened.

"These are spells on Auror's are trained to use" I said. Reginald laughed at my awe.

"They are, and that's exactly why I want you to pick a spell from page one and demonstrate it next week. You need to know these spells if you're going to be working with me. We've already had some mishaps. I don't want you getting hurt on my watch Charlotte" he explained. I grinned.

"Wow" was all I said. Reginald laughed again. This was a huge step, I can't believe he'd trust me enough to learn these spells.

As I turned the page to read further into the article, a loud rumbling sound shocked me almost as much as the ground moving beneath me. I sent a panicked look around the room as I stood slowly. Everyone stopped performing the patronus charm and lights of animals faded away as another wave of rumbling was sent through the room.

The group of us gathered together, fear of what was going on was thick in the air. The mirrors on the wall closest shattered into thousands of pieces and rained to the ground.

A small jagged triangle hole had formed in the wall. Curiously, Nigel stepped closer to the wall, peering through. I watched as Harry pushed him aside to reveal Umbridge, Filtch and the inquisitorial squad peering through the gap. Suddenly Malfoy appeared, dragging Cho in beside him, making her small frame only just visible to us through the hole. Oh no.

"I'll make short work of this" Umbridge's high-pitched voice announced. It only took half a second to realise what she was doing. Harry had realised too as his fist curled into the back of Nigel's jumper.

I reached out and heaved the two of them back, pulling them away from the wall just in time for it to explode, raining debris everywhere as we all tried to get away from it, by backing up or holding arms over heads.

Just as the dust was clearing, I looked back to Umbridge. "Get them" she instructed.

Malfoy and his Slytherin goons piled in, grabbing as many arms and collars and jumpers as they could each hold. Malfoy made a grab at me, gripping my arm tightly and pulling harshly until I was next to him. "Ow" I winced as his fingers dug into my flesh.

"This is nothing, you just wait" he whispered in my ear, his repulsive hot breath hit my ear, making me shiver involuntarily. He seemed to like the fact that I was uncomfortable as a smirk formed on his lips.

"Get off me" I spat, twisting my arm from his grip and pushing him away. He stumbled back, almost tripping over some of the debris. I glared at him, but the satisfaction was torn away quickly as two set of hands gripped both of my arms and held them behind me. Two Slytherin's I didn't recognise stared with cold stele back at me.

I looked around to see all 7th years, Harry, Hermione and Ron were being held while anyone younger was just being herded out of fear. I made eye contact with Harry. We were in huge trouble.

"Take them to the dungeons" Umbridge ordered. The Inquisitorial squad began pushing, shoving and pulling us to the dungeons, avoiding most common hallways and leading us deeper into the castle.

As they pushed Dumbledore's army into 3 different cells as that was what it took to hold all of us, Umbridge directed, "bring me Harry Potter". Malfoy grabbed him out of the group they were herding into a cell and pulled him to Umbridge. Umbridge then looked around and made eye contact with me. "And Charlotte Hale".

Malfoy began to make his way over but I stopped him when I said "touch me and you'll regret it. I can walk myself". Malfoy paused to look back at Umbridge for directions, but I was already at her side, glaring with everything I had.

"As the leaders of this group, you will be presented as evidence to Fudge" Umbridge told us.

"What makes you think I'm a leader?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at her. If anyone but Harry, it was Hermione and Ron.

"Of course you're a leader, don't try anything with me. I know" she replied.

"Obviously not" I mumbled, looking to Harry. He was watching in confusion.

"You lied to the Ministry of Magic, of course you helped orchestrate this highly illegal army for Dumbledore. You are not to be trusted" Umbridge barked at me, snapping my eyes back to her.

"When did I lie?" I asked, shocked at the accusation.

"You know when you ignorant girl. How dare you lie to ministry about what happened that night. There was more than what you said and I know it. I will find out what happened that night Charlotte".

Realisation dawned that she meant the night my parents died. She was trying to find out what really happened. She knew. The ministry was up to something. I glared at her. "I don't know what you're talking about" I replied. She glared back at me for a few moments before turning back and leading the way as Malfoy held Harry's arm roughly, but no one dared touch me.