Chapter 16 - A Giant

Chapter 16

"A giant?!" I whispered loudly, staring wide-eyed at Harry.

"Shh" he whispered, looking around the great hall to see if anyone had heard, but it was an hour until dinner so there was barely anyone around.

"Hagrid's half-brother is a giant, and he's in the forbidden forest" I repeated, turning over the revelation in my mind.

"He likes Hermione" Harry told me. I chuckled, shaking my head.

"Right, so Hagrid has a secret giant. Interesting" I nodded, then hook my head. Harry chuckled. I playfully glared at him. "How are you Harry? How's everything with Snape?" I asked concernedly, I haven't had a chance to ask about Harry's lessons with Snape lately.

His smile fell instantly and his whole demeanour became slumped and defeated. "They're not. Not anymore. They're over now" he replied. His black hair fell into his eyes beneath his glasses, so he pushed it back off his forehead, revealing his lightning scar.

"What happened?"

"I saw some things I shouldn't have, and Snape was furious. He said our lessons were finished indefinitely" he sighed. "My dad was a bit of a tosser, Char" he added. I couldn't keep the surprised look of my face when he said this, it was a random change of direction but he still looked solemn so I could only assume it was a part of what he saw, whatever it was.

I said nothing for a few moments, trying to come up with a good way of replying to him. "Everyone can be a bit of a tosser Harry. That doesn't change what a wonderful man he was, that everyone said he was. I don't know what you saw of your dad, but we've all done some stupid stuff, especially while we're kids" I told him. He was staring at his hands.

"He was a bully Char"

"He was your dad Harry. You remember him, don't you? You have memories even though you were only one?" He nodded. "Whoever he was when you saw him, he grew up to become a respected man, husband, father and wizard. People make mistakes and I'm sure if he were alive today, he'd know his mistake and try and fix it, or the very least, teach you how to not make his mistake. You're already an amazing person, kind hearted. Your dad would be proud of you for not making his mistakes" I finished.

Harry hugged me tightly, whispering "I hope so Char" close to my ear. "I hope so".

He pulled back and shaking his head like he was shaking off the topic. "You and Fred have been acting really weird" he said bluntly, giving me a look. I shrugged.

"If you're going to ask me why, you'll get nothing. You'll have to ask him" I replied, rolling my eyes. "He's mad at me and won't tell me why" I frowned, shaking my head. "He won't even talk to me".

"I noticed" he replied with a sympathetic smile. All day I'd been trying to talk to Fred, but he was being a git, blatantly avoiding me. I'd be surprised the whole school hadn't noticed his actions by how obvious he was being.

"Come on, you look like you need some fresh air" I said, standing up. Harry followed. We walked silently along the paths outside. It was already dark and the white light that illuminated the walkways was dull.

I heard the sniffling first, before we rounded the corner and found a young 2nd year sitting on a bench with Fred and George on either side of him. Fred heard me as I approached and looked up.

I was expecting a glare of some kind, and I wouldn't have cared if it was given as Riley was crying and he was my friend. Since last year, he's been one of my favourite of the younger years. He was the first to offer help paint the banners to support Harry for the TriWizard Tournament. But he didn't glare, he actually smiled at me. I don't know if that means he was over what he was mad about earlier or not, but I sent him a small smile back and then knelt in front of Riley.