Chapter 15 - Silence

Chapter 15

"Let's go to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop" Ari said, spying the tea shop down the street.

"Ooh, I could go for some Raspberry tea" Roze nodded her agreement. We stepped out of the doorway of Tomes and Scrolls and I tucked my new book into my bag as we wandered down the street and off into the side road that housed Madam Puddifoot's.

We stepped through the pink painted door, bell announced our arrival in a tuneful tinkle. The decorations were very tacky and frilly as always, the windows steamed up and the gaudy tables and chairs were all claimed by teenagers holding hands or kissing over cups of tea and coffee. The round tables were decorated with lacy napkins and china sugar bowls, and cramped up the small shop to the point that Madam Puddifoot has great difficulty in moving in between tables to serve the couples.

"Come on, there's a free table near the window" I spoke quickly as I saw a group of girls moving to exit. I smiled at Rowena, a girl from Ravenclaw as she and her friends left the shop.

We all plopped into our seats and took off our jackets. Snow still covered the streets of Hogsmeade, but winter wasn't over for another month, so it was expected.

Madam Puddifoot made her way over to us, squeezing through the small gaps between chairs.

"Afternoon girl, what can I get you?" she asked, retrieving her notepad from her frilly pink apron pocket and looking at us over her half-moon glasses.

"One raspberry tea please" Roze asked.

"Same please" Grace added.

"Latte with two sugars please" Ari said.

"English breakfast please, tiny bit of milk, two sugars" I smiled. Madam Puddifoot nodded and told us it wouldn't be long.

I glanced out the window and down the street absentmindedly, playing with my frilly napkin.

"If you want the book so bad, just get it" Ari laughed, rolling her eyes at me. I shook my head.

"I don't think I have enough. I didn't get a chance to get any more money out at break and I've got to keep it in case I need it" I shrugged.

"It's a galleon and 6 sickles Char, you've got plenty more if you need it" Roze replied, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Fine! I'll get it. If I got bankrupt, it's all your faults" I laughed, standing up. They all just rolled their eyes at me. I had a smile on my face as I quickly ducked back into Tomes and Scrolls and purchased the Cries of a Werewolf by Warrick Gem, one of my favourite wizarding authors.

I stepped back out onto the street as I put the book in my back when I heard my name. I looked up to find Nick standing close, a red scarf around his neck that almost matched the colour of his cold nose.

"Hi Nick" I smiled.

"Hey, what are you up to?" he asked, rubbing his gloved hands together to create some warmth. I laughed at him, but tried to hide it with a cough. It wasn't that cold.

"Just buying a book, the girls are waiting for me at Madam Puddifoot's" I explained, waving in the general direction of the area. He turned to follow my gesture and then turned back to me, stepping from one foot to the other.

I eyed him a bit closer, noticing he was also still rubbing his hands together. He was fidgeting, like he was nervous about something. "Are you ok Nick?" I asked.

"Um, I'm just going to ask because I'm just looking like an idiot right now" he replied. I chuckled, giving him a curious look.

"Ok? Ask away" I told him. He nodded and took a deep breath.