chapter 4

Here is the fourth chapter. Hope anyone who is reading it is enjoying the story so far. I will try and update as regularly as I can, please comment below what you think and vote if you like the story :) 

***********************************************************************************************************

Chapter 4: 

Katherine

She stayed in his arms for a minute and then pulled away, “Thank you Gabriel. I’m sorry that I am such a bother right now.”

He rubbed his hands up and down her arms “Don’t be. I was kind of expecting you’d be a trouble one.”

Katherine gave a choked laugh. He was so easy going and never seemed to have anything bother him. And yet, in his eyes she saw that there was the greatest pain that anyone could ever endure. This angel had seen things, things that would make any human curl in a hole and never come out. These things were what he would never share with her. 

“Thank you... again.”

“It is my job.” He replied.

“Okay, well then I am going back to bed.” Katherine said with another small laugh and a bright smile in his direction.

He nodded, “I’ll be here on the couch if you need anything.”

“Thanks.”

She turned away from him and walked up the stairs. When she was back inside her room she flipped onto her bed and stared at the ceiling. Not that there was anything of interest there, she just had nowhere else to look.

As she studied her white ceiling she thought about her situation. She had sold her soul to the devil, there was an archangel sent to protect her. How was she supposed to absorb this information?

Was it worth it? Selling your soul? Now never being able to have a normal life, ever? An unknown voice in her mind trickled in.

The answer to that was easy, of course it had been worth it. She’d saved her best friend! She would give everything for that girl.

And you have, but would she have done the same?

Of course she would have...

Are you sure?

No.  

And that was the awful truth, she didn’t know if her best friend would sacrifice as much as Katherine had for her. Of course deep down she knew Emilie would do anything but there was always that doubt. That maybe Emilie didn’t feel as strongly toward Katherine as she did.

There is always doubt, isn’t there? The voice continued with a nasty tone.

“Shut up.” Katherine told it sitting up. That was it, she needed sleep and she needed quiet.

Pulling back the covers of her bed she crawled and curled into a ball. Placing her head on her hands she closed her eyes and drifted off into sleep.

Her dreams were all but peaceful. In her dream she was standing at the base of a great pit. Just standing there, not knowing what to do or what to expect. In the pit there was only darkness. But she could hear people shrieking in the darkness, the crack of a whip tearing. What they were tearing she didn’t want to know.

“Are you ready?” A voice said beside her.

She looked up to see Lucifer standing there with his hand outstretched to her.

Katherine shook her head, “No, I don’t want to go. I’m afraid.”

“You don’t have to be. You will be the queen of Hell at my side. No harm shall ever come to you, all will fear you.”

“But... I don’t want to be feared. That isn’t what I want.”

“Oh but my dear, you are already feared. You are a hunter and with that you are being feared. Your family’s past is greatly known in the creature world. Your family is one of the most feared, so why should this be any different?” Lucifer said with a sickening smile.

Katherine rocked on her heels unable to answer. He had a point of course, but she still wanted to stay here. In the real world.

“What is holding you back my dear?”

A name came to her mind, a name that was shielded from her thoughts. All she could answer was “Someone.”

He seemed outraged and pushed her forward.

She felt herself falling deep into the darkness, looking up and seeing Lucifer glaring down. The sky was all she could see as she fell further and further.  Soon even that faded and there were only stars. How long had she been falling? This darkness that was consuming her never ended. It seemed to keep going and going.

When at last the fall ended she hit the ground and grunted in pain.

Whispering voices emerged from the shadows, crawling close to her.

Who is she?

Can we have her?

Where did she come from?

What does master say?

She’s pretty, I want her arm....

A hand reached out and grabbed her arm, Katherine shrieked and backed away to see forms coming out of the shadows. They were deformed with completely black eyes. They grinned, teeth missing from their smiles.

Pretty pretty...

She belongs to us now...

Poor little thing...

Katherine covered her ears and felt tears begin to roll down her face “NO NO NO!” She screamed out.

Come with us child....

Come...

 Come...

“NO!” Katherine screamed sitting up in bed.

She was breathing hard and there was sweat trickling down her face.  Her face was tear stained and she couldn’t control her breathing. In her mind she was still in that dark pit surrounded by those glowing black eyes and the half starved looking creatures.

Her whole body was shaking as she grabbed her phone and checked the time. It was only five in the morning but she knew there was no way she was getting anymore sleep.

Feeling defeated she crawled out of bed and trudged into the bathroom.

She stared at herself in the mirror, her auburn hair was ruffled and she wet lines running down her face. Her brown eyes were red rimmed from the tears.

Basically she looked and felt like shit.

Taking a cloth out of the drawer she rinsed it under the tap and began washing her face.  When she finished that she walked back into her room, grabbed her iPod and placed it on her speakers. Blasting some rock she danced around her room for a few seconds, trying to clear her head. Then she went back to the bathroom and did her makeup and brushed out her wild curls. Spinning around she danced back into her room and opened her closet.

Pulling out a blue shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans she flung them on her bed still spinning. Changing into her clothes she turned off her music and then hopped down the stairs.

Gabriel was sitting on the couch looking annoyed.

“Think you could be any louder?” He asked in annoyance.

Katherine grinned “I could, if you wanted me to.”

He rolled his eyes and lay back down on the couch.

Katherine debated whether or not to tell him about the dream. She supposed that he would want to know but she couldn’t bring herself to tell about the horror she had witnessed. Was that what her future held? Was she to be forced to survive that torture forever? Is this what she had sold her soul for?

“What’s on your mind?” Gabriel asked sitting up with a wondering expression.

She shrugged, “Nothing really, just contemplating the day ahead of me.”

“Yeah? Well whatever you don’t make any deals involving your soul.”

Katherine gave him a glare.

“Too soon?”  He asked.

“You think?”

He laughed “Okay then, make a note. Sense of humour is gone in the early morning.”

Katherine went to say something then shook her head; it was pointless trying to argue with an angel. She pulled a box of cereal out of a cupboard and poured it into a bowl. Grabbing some milk out of the fridge she began poured it in and began to eat.

Gabriel had laid back down on the couch and had fallen back asleep.

She watched him with a small smile creeping on her lips; he looked like a child when he was asleep. He was so innocent looking, like nothing could ever hurt him. He was literally angelic, perfect. Turning her face away she finished her breakfast and washed her bowl before grabbing her bag and walking to the door.

Opening the door to the garage she jumped a foot in the air when she saw Gabriel standing there.

“Would you stop doing that?!?” She cried leaning against the doorframe for support.

He gave his childlike grin “Nah, this is too much fun.”

“Giving me a heart attack is what you call fun?”

Gabriel shrugged, “As long as you don’t die it is all fun.”

She smiled “Okay then. Well, I have to go to school... so I will see you when I get home.” 

“I’ll be at the school when you are done.” He said. “I’ll see you then.”  He stepped aside and let her in.

“Yup, if that’s what you prefer I am good with that.” She said walking past him and getting into her car.

Opening the garage door, she turned on the car and waved to him as she drove away. The drive to school was quiet, which normally would have been nice except for the fact that it gave her mind time to dwell on her dream.

The sensation of falling through the air stayed with her as she turned the corner onto the main road. The images of those creatures reaching out to her made her shiver. She was starting to regret not telling her angel about it. What could he have done though? All he could’ve done was tell her that it was okay and that it was just a dream, but then what if it wasn’t just a dream? What if it was her future?

Stop it you’re freaking yourself out! Take a breath and focus on the day ahead of you. Finish your classes, see you friends and Tom.

Tom... Yes that was a comforting thought. He would be there for her and help her forget her problems for at least six hours.

She pulled into the school and saw Amy, Emilie and Celia standing by the front door with Tom close by. He was searching the parking lot for Katherine’s car. When he saw it he walked right over.

Katherine got out of car to find his arms already around her waist. “Good morning beautiful.” He whispered into her hair.

Katherine gave a smile and said “Morning.” She pulled away and grabbed her bag from the backseat locking the car behind her as her and Tom walked hand in hand to where her group of friends were standing.

Emile ran over and threw her arms around Katherine in a hug “How are you.”

She shrugged “Doing fine.”

“So my friends told me that your parents are out of town, why have I not heard of this?” Tom asked with a playful smile.

“It happened a little suddenly. Sorry.” She replied.

The bell rang for school to start and she gave Tom a quick peck on the cheek before taking Emile’s hand and hurrying into the school.

“I have a problem.” She said, “And you’re not going to like it.” 

*****************************************************************************Sorry it ends so suddenly, all will be explained soon.  I really do hope you liked it!! :)