chapter 7

So I don't know if people are stil reading this, but if you are I thank you. Here is the next chapter. I decided to try and make them longer since I take so long to update. Hope you enjoy! 
*********************************************************************************************

Chapter 7: 

Gabriel

Gabriel froze in the middle of the hallway. He winced and cursed at himself, he really needed to be more careful about what he said around this girl. She was quick and didn’t let anything get past her.

He made his face go blank and turned around to face her, “I’m sorry what?”

She rolled her eyes “At the school you said to Lucifer that I wasn’t going to be taken, again. What’s that supposed to mean?”

He shrugged “I don’t know what to tell you Katherine.”

“Just tell me what you meant.”

“I meant that he had taken your soul but he wasn’t going to do it again.” He replied, coming up with a lie fast.

Whatever he did, she could never find out about her background. It would be too much for a human to handle and he wasn’t in the mood to explain the whole coming back to life scenario and how she basically screwed herself forever in her first life. No, she was human and her small brain would never be able to comprehend that!

Katherine stared at him and Gabriel saw in her eyes that she knew he was lying. She didn’t say anything though. He figured she knew she wasn’t going to get anymore out of him.

“Fine and since you have brought me home and I am guessing won’t return me to my school I am going up to my room.” With that she turned on her heel and stalked back up to her bedroom with a slight twitch in her step.

Gabriel watched her walk away in amusement. No matter what the situation was she was a funny character and always managed to make him smile.

He walked away from where he’d stopped and moved into the kitchen. He opened the fridge, grabbing an apple. Leaning against the counter he bit into the apple with a sigh.

Lucifer was getting more and more persistent and Gabriel didn’t know how much longer he would be able to keep her safe. He’d learned from the past that Lucifer almost always got what he wanted. No matter what it was. It had bothered Gabriel for years, when Lucifer had been cast out he had been a little too happy. In his mind his brother had gotten what he deserved.

Of course that wasn’t true and it wasn’t fair to think.

It had been different after Lucifer had left. Not in a good way either. Michael had been constantly sad and Father had moped around more often. Not paying attention to his children the way he used to. He had been short with them and not as happy and carefree as before.

Lucifer’s actions had changed the feel of Heaven and it was no longer a nice one. Still though, Gabriel stayed with his brothers and sisters. Protecting the younger ones and making sure they weren’t harmed by Father’s wrath.

Father would never mean to hurt them but poor Castiel had been harmed a few times when he had begun to rebel against Father. To see the young angel questioning authority almost drew Father around the bend and he would strike him angrily.

Gabriel was always there to take the young angel into the shelter of his golden wings. The little angel would tremble and then fall asleep in his arms.

Sure Gabriel teased his brother from time to time but he would always protect him no matter what. He would do that for any of his siblings but he had always had a soft spot for the little guy. Castiel was the innocent one. The one who always believed that nothing bad would ever happen.

He was always disappointed and it broke Gabriel’s heart to see his broken face whenever it did.

Castiel at one point had looked up to Lucifer and when the rebellion had happened he had been heartbroken. Gabriel had tried to comfort him but he had been as upset as Michael.

His family was broken and there was nothing he could do to fix it.

Sighing Gabriel looked up at the ceiling and whispered “Why Father? Why would you send me back into this mess? Why not just leave me dead?”

As usual there was no answer, nothing to give him a reason to keep on going. That was just like Father, protect his precious creations but leave his first children to rot.

“He sent you because I needed you.” Katherine said walking into the kitchen with a small smile.

“I didn’t hear you come down.” Gabriel remarked lamely.

She shrugged and sat on a stool, “I am just quiet like that I guess.”

Gabriel smiled and turned around leaning forward on the counter “Not a good idea to sneak up on your angel like that little hunter.”

She laughed; a full hearted laugh that made her face light up. “I will remember that.” She twirled a curl around her finger and said “So I was wondering if I could go hunting tonight. It’s been a few days now since I’ve been on the streets and I can’t get lazy.”

Gabriel hesitated looking over at the window “I don’t know if that is such a good idea Katherine. I mean, Lucifer isn’t going to stop for you to go hunting...”

“Why don’t you come and protect me then while I protect the town?” She suggested with a pleading smile. 

He sighed “I have to be with you at all times though. If I feel that it is getting too dangerous we go. You are not to argue with me at all, do you understand me Katherine?”

She nodded eagerly with a bright grin on her face. Jumping off her stool like a five year old she ran around the counter and threw her arms around Gabriel.

At first he stood there stunned and then relaxed, wrapping his arms around the girl. She may not have had the same body but he could feel deep down that this girl was definitely his Eve.

Letting go first he pushed her gently away and said “Go rest, it’s going to be a long night.”

Katherine smiled and nodded with a child like expression. She gave him another quick squeeze saying “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” And then ran to the stairs and back up to her room.

Gabriel watched her go and said to himself “When did I become such a push over?”