chapter 12

I am trying to make the chapters longer each time so if they lag a little bit in the middle please let me know. And I sincerely apologize for that!!! Anyway once again bless all of you for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoy. 

********************************************************************************************

Chapter 12:

Katherine

She left before Gabriel woke up. She didn’t want to talk to him, she didn’t know why but there was too much that she was unsure about at the moment.

Getting in her trusty car, she’d picked up breakfast at the local cafe and sat in the school parking lot until it opened. She sat there, eating her bagel and drinking her coffee. Sitting there in silence; no radio or headphones in. Just the blissful silence of the morning.

This was the plan for the day, survive. She was single now, there would be no one to greet her with a charming grin, and no one would swoop in and pull her into a surprise hug or kiss her softly on the cheek. No more of that was going to happen and she had to breathe and accept it.

Finishing her bagel she took a deep breath and got out of her car, locking it and striding confidently towards the school.

Hopefully Emilie would already be here to comfort her. It was a touch and go situation though since Emilie didn’t always get there on time. She liked to sleep in a lot. She was almost always late for early morning cheer practices.

Luckily those were over for the year. Since school was done in about two weeks and they were all graduating this year.

It was all over.

She reached the school and walked into the building, heading straight for her locker. It was the closest to the library and she was happy for that. She put some books away and put others back inside before walking into the quiet room.

There were a few students in the chairs and studying in front of the few computers that were held in the library. Katherine sat in her usual spot near the back in the on the plush chairs. No one could see her from here. There were a few bookcases that blocked off the view from the front, it gave her a nice privacy from the world. A little space all to herself.

She took a random book off one of the shelves in front of her and opened it up. She began reading it, not knowing the story line or who the author was. It was about a war, not one that she knew about just one that someone had creatively invented.

It was a good book to take her mind off her troubles and teach her about something new. Tell her a story she’d never heard a million times before. Experience new ways of thinking.

That’s why she loved books so much, they gave her a new perspective on the world every time. Every time there was a new character that was learning a new skill. And sometimes that skill would be one she needed at that moment and she would learn from it and take away tips that the character learned.

In a way, it was her form of meditation.

Checking her phone she saw she one new message from Emilie. It was asking her where she was.

She quickly told her and then went back to the novel.

Emilie found her about five minutes later. She knew Katherine’s hideaway spot and whenever she asked where she was she almost always already knew where it was she needed to go.

“There you are. I was wondering where you had disappeared to...” Emilie paused and stared at her friend for a few moments “Is everything okay? Why aren’t you with Tom? I saw him downstairs with Kayla.”