chapter 9

Here is the next chapter. I hope you are all enjoying it so far. 
*****************************************************************************************

Chapter 9: 

Gabriel

Gabriel watched her bitterly as she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Despite all his efforts he couldn’t help but keep seeing his Eve in her. He knew it wasn’t her, not really at least but she was still her in so many ways. Why couldn’t he just find a way to tell her the truth without scaring her or creeping her out? The girl had already been through so much!

And then hearing her talk to Tom, whom Gabriel had come to deeply despise, had not helped much at all either!

She looked so peaceful as she slept. He could tell that she was still in pain, but he wasn’t really sure what humans used to get rid of headaches.

He remembered at one point his vessel had had a headache. He had suffered for days because he hadn’t known what to do about it. The pain had been excruciating, he had learned then that humans were not as weak as he thought they were.

They were some of the strongest beings he knew of!

Katherine mumbled something inaudible and turned herself over in her sleep. Gabriel smiled and turned back to the book he was borrowing.

It was a classic one, one almost every household had.

The Bible.

Yes, yes he knew how stereotypical it was of him to read it but it had been a few centuries and he wanted to see how people were interpreting it now!

He turned to some of his favourite passages and giggled a little as he read. This was not how he remembered it happening! The poor humans may be strong but sometimes they had trouble interpreting the divine word.

That would be why Father sent prophets to the earth. To try and explain to these poor creatures what it was he was trying to truly tell them. Not that they listened very often but that was their problem. Not Father’s. He had done his best to try and teach them. If they weren’t going to listen, that wasn’t his problem.

Watching her sleep he sighed and put the book back on the shelf.

Feeling she was safe he left the room, closing the door quietly behind him. He made his way back down the stairs and out the front door.

Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to leave her alone while she was sleeping but he had to get out of the house. He’d been sitting there all day and he wanted to stretch his legs and his wings.

Rolling his shoulders he unruffled them and gave his head a little roll to stretch his neck. He looked around him and then beat his wings until he was hovering above the clouds and soaring over the small town.

Adults mulled about and a few students. It looked normal, just like the day before and Gabriel wondered how these people didn’t become insanely bored. Their lives were the same, over and over. No wonder Katherine wanted to get out!

“Hello Gabriel.” A newly familiar voice said beside him.

He jerked, turning his head. The new angel Lauriel was now flying beside him. He smiled “Hello again.”

“What are you doing up here? Don’t you have someone to look after?”

“Who are you now my mother?”

Lauriel gave a small smile “You always were one of the funny ones. No, I am not your mother. She ran away a long time ago. Remember?”

Gabriel glared at her, his eyes full of hot fur. “Of course I remember. I was there.”

“That’s right, you were.”

He stared at her. Who was this angel? How did she know so much? She was obviously a new one, she had even said so herself. Then, how did she know so much and how would she know about the original mother?

He wanted to ask her, but he was also a little afraid of the answer he might receive.

“Is something troubling you Gabriel?” She asked.

“You are. Who are you?”

“I told you, I am your sister. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“See, I don’t believe you. Because I don’t remember ever seeing you in Heaven and that would make you a new angel... Then how would you know so much about me and the past?”

“People talk, I hear the stories.” She replied, her face having an anxious twitch to it.

Gabriel knew he had her. She was lying to him and she knew he could see it.

“I don’t know what you are talking about...” Lauriel said in an almost frightened voice.

“What are you afraid of?” He asked reaching over and taking her hand.

She flinched away from him and gave him a hard glare “Just do your job Gabriel and no one will get hurt. Do you understand me?” And with that she disappeared and Gabriel was left flying alone once again.

He stood there, in deep confusion. Someone or something was threatening her. She was afraid. Of what though? Who or what could possibly be attacking that poor fledgling? Why did they have such a strong hold on her? What job did he have to do?

Take care of Katherine...  His mind told him.

Well, that was as good a guess as any. He didn’t know why she felt the need to tell him that, of course he was going to protect her!

You aren’t right now... Something could be happening to her...

He sighed and flew back to the house.

The fledgling never left his mind as he flew. He was worried about her, even if he didn’t know her that well. She was still part of his family.

Arriving back inside Katherine’s house he heard a phone ringing. He looked around and found the phone lying on the kitchen counter where he’d left it earlier.

The number on the caller ID said “Mom’s cell”

Great.

He debated answering it, and then decided against it. She would call back later probably and then Katherine could answer it and nothing about his presence would be given away. Yes, that is what he would do. No need to stir up unneeded trouble.

Placing the phone back on the counter he heard the answering machine kick in. A woman’s voice came over, she sounded frantic as she said “Katherine? Sweetie something... Something has happened.” A loud bang interrupted her “We need you to call your uncle; he’ll know what to do. This is a code green. If this doesn’t end the way we hope it should, just know that we love you and that you are the best thing ever to happen to us.” Another loud bang sounded in the back ground. “We love you Katherine, live your life to fullest. Don’t get caught in our life.”

The message ended with an ear splitting scream and someone shouting and then there was silence.

Gabriel stood there stunned.

Had he just listened to a live show of Katherine’s parents being killed?

He stood there, rocking back and forth. Did he go and wake up Katherine. Maybe she could catch her parents before something really bad happened... If t hadn’t already or did he let her sleep and break it to her after?

What would she want him to do?

She needed her sleep! He guessed that when he told her this, she wouldn’t be sleeping for awhile. So what was an angel to do?

Not that he needed to struggle over it for very long, there was creaking sound on the stairs and a little stumble. He spun around flying over and catching Katherine as she tripped and fell into his arms.

“What are you doing out of bed?” He asked with a small smile placing her down on the floor.

She looked up at him and brushed her hair out of her eyes with a weak smile. “I heard someone screaming and was worried... Is everything okay down here?” She turned her head slowly, obviously still in pain. She was searching for the threat.

Gabriel felt his heart begin to swell. This girl had a massive concussion and here she was looking out for danger still. She was born to be a hunter, she was the best.

The news was going to kill her. It would ruin all the happiness that filled her life. Yet how could he lie to her? He could delete the message and pray she never asked about her parents. But if they never came back, she would begin to ask questions and then the truth would come out.

No it was better to deal with this now and pray that the plan, whatever it was, worked and they returned safe and sound.

“Katherine...” He started; “You may want to hear this...”

She looked at him in worry but nodded and followed him over to where the answering machine stood.

He turned and gave her one quick look before pressing play and the message began over again.

Katherine’s face was instantly filled with alarm as she heard her mother’s voice. As the message continued to play and the first bang sounded, she jumped and swayed. Her eyes filled with small tears. When the second bang sounded she broke down and he saw her sway so bad he had to hold her steady until the last bit of the message was over.

She sobbed in his arms and he simply pulled her close to his chest, holding her so she didn’t fall over.

“Shhh, it’s okay. It’ll be okay.” He whispered, stroking her soft hair.

Pulling away a little she lifted her head and looked into his eyes “They might be dead Gabriel! This is not okay! We have to find them, help them.”

He nodded, “I know. Let’s do what she said first though. Call your uncle, and tell him whatever code green means.”

Katherine shook her head “You don’t understand. Code green means they have been killed by a creature and are dead and I cannot believe that they are dead! I can’t! I have to find them before I do anything!”

Gabriel dragged a hand through his hair, letting out a huge breath. This girl... She was great... Sometimes but she always made things so much more difficult than they needed to be! Why couldn’t she just do what she was told for once? Wasn’t respecting your elders important anymore?

“Gabriel... Please?” She whispered her voice small and frightened.

“No.” He said firmly. “I am no letting you go off to find your parents where you might get yourself killed. We will stay here and try to live life without worry. I won’t make you call your uncle but I am not letting you run off either. Especially with the devil on your heels.” He placing his palms on her cheeks and staring into her brown eyes.

Katherine looked down, her eyes still watering, “Fine. I won’t do anything then.”

He nodded “Good. How are you feeling? Do you want anything to eat?”

“Sure. What do we have?”

“I don’t know. You’re the one who lives here.”

“You are so helpful.” She muttered, staggering slowly into the kitchen.

Gabriel grinned “I know.”

He followed her in and watched her as she opened the fridge and dug around a little. Pulling out a container of strawberries, she staggered over to the sink and washed a handful placing them on a plate and then back on the counter.

She stopped and held her head in pain. He came around and put the strawberries back in the fridge for her. He then picked her up and placed her on the stool.

“No more moving for you.” He stated pulling the plate over to her.

Katherine gave a small shaky laugh “Yes sir.”

She ate her strawberries quietly, contemplatively and Gabriel said nothing. He knew what it was like to have to grieve silently. Though she didn’t really know if they were dead or not, it was still hard to here that kind of news.

Moving away from her, he sat on the couch and leaned his head back staring at the ceiling.

“Gabriel?”  She said softly.

“Yes?”

“What’s going to happen to me when Lucifer comes for me?” Katherine said with a voice full of fear.

Gabriel sucked in a breath, where was this coming from?

“You don’t need to worry about that Katherine.” He reassured her “I will save you and you will never have to sit with Lucifer. I promise you.”

“Will you always be here Gabriel?” She asked a slight tone of hope.

He let his lips slide into a big grin “I will be here as long as you want me to be and as long as you need me to be.”

“Good.” Was her relieved reply. 

*****************************************************************
Please vote and comment at the bottom what you think so far.