chapter 16

Voila, the next part. Hope you enjoy it! 
**************************************************************************************

Chapter 16:
Katherine

She stared at her angel and saw a dark realization dawn upon him. He looked down at the counter shaking his head a little bit.

“How could I have been so stupid? How did I not see it?” He muttered still staring at the granite.

“Gabriel?” She asked tentatively, “What is it? What is going on?”

He looked up at her, his golden eyes suddenly terrifying and full of anger “Can’t you see it?” He hissed out, “It was planned from the beginning. You were never going to die. Sure it looked like it, but I bet you if you hadn’t called to me when you did; you would have had another saviour. One you don’t want. He planned this so well.”

Even though she already knew who he was talking about, she made herself ask the question. She had to know for sure who it was that Gabriel was referring to.

“It couldn’t be...”

“Yes, Katherine your real captor was Lucifer.” Gabriel said, confirming her earlier fear.

She put her face in her hands. Why was she such an idiot? Why hadn’t she just called Gabriel sooner and then not taken the risk of almost being taken by the one person they were all trying to avoid?

With her face still in her palms she muttered “Are you saying that Lucifer is responsible for my parent’s deaths?”

“It may very well be. I don’t know though.”

Katherine could feel herself shaking and took her face out of her hands so she could use them to grip the counter. With a determined look she turned her gaze back up to Gabriel saying, “No matter what, I am going to kill him. He will pay for what he has done.”

Gabriel winced a little and turned his back on her saying “Revenge is not always the best solution.”

“HE KILLED MY PARENTS!” She screamed standing up and walking around to face him, “He deserves to die!”

His face darkened again “Have care how you speak Kat, he is still my brother. No matter how much of a dick he can be.”

Still fuming she walked out of the kitchen, grabbing her school bag as she went by and left the house.

Standing with her back against the garage door she stared ahead. She felt numb, not sure how to process what she had just been told.

Her parents had been murdered by a werewolf, okay for her that was normal. The person who had set the werewolf on her parents was literally the devil. Okay not so normal anymore.  She had to face the facts for real now. She was an orphan. She was all alone in the world.

“Katherine?” A voice said opening the door and making her stumble backwards.

Strong arms caught her and held her halfway from the floor. She looked up at saw Gabriel standing there with a slightly amused look on his face. He lifted her back to her feet and she righted herself, walking a little bit away from him.

She didn’t want to get too attached. The feelings that welled inside her whenever she saw him were starting to get out of hand. A tight feeling weld up inside her chest making it hard to breathe. She kept staring at his perfect face.

Why didn’t angels choose unattractive vessels?

It’s not the vessel you’re attracted to... Her mind whispered, and she knew it was right. Sure the vessel definitely helped but she could somehow see the person inside, the angel who was hiding from everyone’s view.

“Are you okay?” He asked, turning his head slightly and looking her right in the eyes.

Katherine blinked and looked back up at him “Hm? Oh yeah, fine.”

“Well, I suggest you get going then. School starts soon. This time you are actually going to the school right?” Gabriel said with a serious expression.

She smiled “Don’t worry; I won’t be doing a repeat of yesterday.”

“I will worry Kat. You are ruthless and don’t think. You could have died! Why didn’t you tell me you were going on a hunt?”

“I survived fine before you! I don’t need a babysitter!”

“Are you sure about that? Look what happened! You let your emotions get in the way, by someone who had broken your heart. By someone who you should never have trusted in the first place”
“I don’t need a moral lesson from you!”

“Sure looks like you could use one!”

“Well I don’t. I don’t need you or anyone else! I can survive just find on my own!” Katherine spat back at him angrily.

Gabriel looked away, a little hurt and then anger took over his expression. He turned to her and said “Fine, next time you’re in trouble, don’t bother calling. I won’t come.” And then he disappeared.

Katherine looked at where’d been and felt small tears rising to the corners of her eyes. She shook them away angrily, hurried into the garage and to her car.

She was an idiot. That was all there was to it.

Now she would have to be sure she didn’t do anything stupid. She didn’t know if Gabriel was serious about his threat or not, but she didn’t want to test it in case he was.

How was she to know what went through that angel’s head sometimes?

Sighing she opened the door to her car. Sliding in she turned it on and put on some loud rock music to wipe away her worry.

The ride to school was uneventful, as was the rest of the day. She walked robotically to each class and barely talked the whole day. Emilie tried to get her attention several times to no avail. She eventually gave up and just sat beside her friend with a concerned expression.

After their last class Emilie came up to her and pulled her into the girl’s bathroom.

“Okay what is up with you?”

Katherine looked at her, then down at the sink leaning against it, “It was a long night...” She sighed and turned around to face her friend “I skipped school and went for a hunt. Got myself kidnapped and then Gabriel came to save me. My parents were killed my werewolves who were commissioned by the devil, me and Gabriel got in a fight and I think I am falling in love with him.”

Emilie stared at her and then simply pulled her into a strong hug.

Katherine clung to her friend as silent tears streaked her cheeks. She tasted the salt on her lips and buried her face in Emilie’s shoulder, “I don’t know what to do!” She said quietly.

“I know and I wish I could give you advice but I have no idea what to say. Your parents... are they really dead?” Emilie whispered back.

“Yes.”

“I’m so sorry.”

Katherine pulled away and looked in the mirror, wiping her eyes and the streaked mascara off her cheeks. “It’s okay. Life goes on and I have to live my life the way they wanted me to.”

“And what way is that?”

Katherine stared at her reflection in the mirror “By being who I was meant to be.”

Later that day Katherine and Emile were sitting in the diner. She was munching on a French fry while Emilie gossiped about what Tom and that new girl he was with. What had her name been? Kayla? Something like that. Honestly, she didn’t care but it was funny to hear Emilie go off on Tom for moving on so quickly.

She had left out the part about Tom being the reason for her kidnapping. Katherine didn’t want to know what her best friend would say if she knew about that one! Sure she hated Tom and wanted him to suffer but she didn’t need Emilie going and shooting him with a silver bullet for her.

It wasn’t necessary.

The next time she saw Tom, he was a dead man...dead wolf? Either it way she just had to live her life and finish high school.

“Hey Katie, now that you and Tom are on the outs who are you going to prom with?” Emile asked with a little waggle of her eyebrows.

Katherine let out a chocked laugh “I don’t know if I’m going to go.”

“Oh hell no! You are not leaving me alone with Celia and Amy!”

“You like them.”

“So do you and would you want to be stuck with them for three hours while they swoon over their boyfriends and act like sluts?” Emilie asked.

Katherine laughed wholly this time and shook her head “No, but you’ll be with Evan too.”

Evan Jackson was Emilie’s very normal, very nice boyfriend. They had been together since grade ten and honestly they were perfect for each other.

“Yeah, but still; you shouldn’t skip out on prom! It’s your last year; this is your right of passage! You belong at the dance!”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Good.” Emile replied taking a sip of her coke.

They sat silently for a little while and then Katherine looked up at her “What are you doing tonight?”

“Nothing, what do you want to do?” Emilie said with a grin.

“Well it’s Friday night and I have little else to do... Do you want to just come and hang out? I think we’ll be alone. Gabriel was pretty mad this morning.” Katherine said with a frown.

Emilie nodded, “Okay sounds fun! By the way, what did you do to make him so mad?”

“Um... Well... I guess I pretty much insulted him.”

“Smooth.”

Katherine shrugged as they stood up and she paid at the front. They walked out of the diner to her car.

“Do you think he’ll come back?”

“I sure as hell hope so.”

Emilie lifted her eyebrows in amusement and Katherine gave her arm a small punch before getting into her side of the car. Emilie climbed in hers and followed her to her house.

The drive was quick but Katherine took the time to appreciate the silence and the fact that she had a little bit of time to reflect on her life. She was going back to her house, Gabriel may very well be there but she couldn’t worry about that; she had to let herself have fun for once.

She and Emilie hadn’t hung out in forever, it was long overdue. Turning the corner onto her street, she glanced in her rear view mirror at Emilie’s silver corolla behind her. She gave a small wave and pulled up to her house.

Emilie parked on the street while Katherine put her car in the garage.

She walked back out to the street to let her friend in and then locked the gate tight behind them. They walked inside collapsing on the couches in the living room.

“Doesn’t look like your angel is home.”

She laughed “Yeah, well you never know with him. He is pretty much everywhere.”

“That’s a good thing for you.” Emilie remarked.

Katherine gave her friend a confused expression “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means that you get yourself into trouble a lot, you need someone like Gabriel to look out for you.”

Katherine knew she had a point, Emilie almost always did. She just didn’t want to admit it to herself, but she did get into bad situations a lot. Her breath came out in a rush as she slumped on the couch and stared at the blank wall.

“I said something really bad to him Em; I told him I didn’t need him. He said he wouldn’t come to help me next time since I could obviously handle myself.”

Emilie paused before saying “But you can’t.”

“I know... That’s the problem.”  Katherine huffed out leaning back with a sigh.

She heard her friend give a small laugh and looked up to see Emilie shaking her head in amusement, “I think you need to find your angel and apologize to him. Look Katie, I know you think you can take care of yourself but let’s face it; you can’t.”

Katherine turned her head up and rolled her eyes. Sure her friend was right but that was not she needed to hear right now!

“I guess you’re right.” She muttered, “But until he comes back, I have no way of finding him. I believe him when he says he won’t come. I guess I’ll just have to stay out of trouble until then.”

“Good luck.” Emilie said.

Katherine couldn’t help but smile. Luck; yes she needed that. 

*******************************************************************************
Thank you once again for reading! Hope to post a new chapter soon, please comment and vote if you enjoyed. :)