chapter 14

Here it is! The next chapter and I made sure to make this one longer. I hope you enjoy. 
*********************************************************************************************************

Chapter 14: 

Katherine

She left the house with a small pain her chest.

What had she just done? Had she actually just kissed her angel?

Shaking her head to clear it, she started her car and drove out of the garage and to school. For once she was happy she would have a little bit of time away from her angel. She needed to think, needed to understand the sudden feelings that were welling up inside her chest.

Skip school.... Her mind told her Go for a hunt, that always clears your mind.

And that’s exactly what she did. She turned off onto a side street and hid her car in the alley. Climbing out she walked to her trunk and opened it up. Inside, neatly organized, were her spare guns, knives and her rows and rows of spray bottle holy water. There was an exorcism book and a bag of salt in a hidden compartment.

She hardly ever used her trunk and never let anyone else go near it. It was her own secret weapon ‘room’. Pulling out a pistol, she tucked it into the waist band of her shorts and a silver dagger as well. Pulling on one of her jackets she had in the back she placed a bag of salt inside and a bottle of holy water. Just in case.

Closing her trunk with a firm slam, she locked her doors and looked down the alley. She was ready.

Walking out of the alley, she looked both ways and then ran off into the forest.

So maybe the forest wasn’t the best idea, given what had happened to her the night before. Nevertheless she that a lot of creatures were hiding here. Here would be her best shot at finding something ugly and evil to kill.

“Wow you are definitely sane.” She whispered, trudging through the forest. The air was silent this time, there were no birds and the dark patches looked ominous instead of peaceful. After last night, it all had seemed to turn evil. As if the ground Lucifer had trod upon had tainted the whole forest.

Instead of feeling in control and at home here, as she usually did, she felt frightened and lost. Like Red Riding Hood when the wolf was tracking her. There was no escape and grandmother’s house was still so far off.

“I’m not afraid of the big bad wolf.” She whispered, pressing on. Trying to ignore her fear.

“Red Riding Hood uh? Well, I guess the hair matches!” A familiar voice said mockingly behind her.

She spun around and sighed at the person who stood there.

Tom.

“What do you want?” She asked in an angry voice.

He held up his hands and moved in closer to her. Her hand went inconspicuously to the knife by her side. Even though she knew him well, if she had to she would use it.

“To talk, I never really got to explain myself.”

Katherine glared at him and snapped “You don’t need to explain anything! I know what you are! Why you left me. Can’t you see? I don’t care! It doesn’t matter anymore!”

He blinked, “You know I’m a wolf?”

“Yes.”

Realization dawned on his face, as he looked away with a small strained laugh “He told you. That angel told you.”

Katherine grinned “Yes, Gabriel told me.”

Tom swore and then looked at her “Why would he do that?”

“Because he actually cares about me.”

A bitter laughter came from Tom; he walked over to Katherine and pulled her close to him. Placing his lips on hers and kissing her softly. Without thinking she automatically kissed him back. Despite everything he had done to her, all the pain he had put her through. All the monthly abuse during their relationship... She still loved him.

He pulled back and looked her in the eyes, brushing the pads of his thumbs across her lips, “Is that someone who doesn’t care?”

Her eyes were swelling with tears “Tom...”

“Katie, I never stopped caring. I was protecting myself and you.” He whispered “This couldn’t go on, not while you are a hunter and I’m what I am.”

“If you’d just told me, we could have made it work.” She whispered back holding onto his wrists where his palms were pressed against her cheeks.

He shook his head “No Katie, we couldn’t have.”

She pulled away then and stared at him, “Tom I think you should go.”

“Why? Are you planning on killing me now?”

Katherine shifted nervously on her feet “I don’t want to.”

“Then don’t.”

She turned away, pressing her hands to her temples and shaking. “Why? Why did you even come out here?”

“The truth?” He said in a broken voice “To find you. I needed to talk to you Katherine. I needed to make you understand that what I did, I did for the best.”

“You hurt me! You made me feel like I had done something wrong!” She cried leaning against a tree, trying to act casual but knowing it was so she didn’t fall over.

Tom looked away; obviously he had nothing else to say to that. She took his silence as a cue that the conversation was over. Shaking her head she turned and began to walk away.

He was right there in front of her in an instant. His teeth bared and his eyes turning to small slits, “We’re aren’t done here you and I. I am here with another purpose.”

Fed up with talking to him and wanting to get on with her hunt Katherine stared at him and said “What other purpose is that?”

“Bringing you in.”

“Wh-?” She started but never finished. He flew at her, pushing her to the ground muffling the scream that threatened to come out of her mouth.

Her head hit the forest floor and then everything went black.