chapter 10

Next chapter is up. Basically I will post faster when I don't want to be studying... Well now I should go do that. Enjoy the next part! 
***********************************************************************************

Chapter 10:
Katherine

Katherine sat and ate her strawberries happily. Gabriel was staying, he wouldn’t leave her alone. Why would she need an uncle if she had a guardian angel right?

Finishing her last strawberry, she licked her lips and pushed the plate to the middle of the counter.

Gabriel must’ve heard her push the plate away because he was right beside her in an instant. He looked over at her in concern as she placed a hand on her head again.

These damn headaches were the worst. Never again would she let herself get a concussion!

“I can help you if you want...” He whispered, pushing her hair out of her face.

“Yeah? With what?” She whispered back, not able to speak much above that.

She heard the smile in his voice “With your headaches. I can heal you.”

She swung her head to fast, but in shock as well. “And you haven’t done this before now? Do you enjoy seeing me suffer?”

He looked at her in genuine horror, “NO! I just... If you were here it would be easier to keep an eye on you.” He shifted awkwardly like a hurt puppy “I thought I was doing what was best.”

She felt her heartbreak at the look on his face. She also felt bad for being the one to have put it there. He looked like a puppy that had just been beat. Placing her hand on his cheek she gave a weak smile “I mean no harm... I just I hate having these headaches. Please stop looking like that!”

Gabriel gave her a smile “Fine.” He then placed two fingers in the middle of her forehead. There was a bright light that hurt her eyes but she felt much better. There was a warm glow that surrounded her for two seconds and then faded.

Opening her eyes she realized her headache was gone. There was no more pain at all. She felt like her old self again! Grinning up at him she said “Thank you.”

He smiled at her and there was something new in his eyes. Something that Katherine had only seen in three other people’s eyes. She dismissed it rapidly, not letting herself think about that for a minute. It wasn’t even possible!

“Anytime. Now what should we do with the rest of the day?” He asked with a grin.

Katherine shifted a little awkwardly “Well I did promise Tom I’d call him later...”

“Oh right.” He replied sounding slightly deflated. “Well, I’ll just let you do that then. I’ll be out on the deck.”

And then he disappeared.

She looked around and saw movement out on her deck and then saw him lean against the railing, looking out over her backyard.

The sun caught in his brown hair, giving it almost golden highlights. It hit his face in a way that made it glow with an angelic light. He was leaning against the railing with an almost lazy look. Except when he looked lazy, it was actually attractive.

Stop it! Her brain screamed and she sighed running up the stairs and grabbing her phone off the night side table.

Dialing Tom’s number she waited for him to pick up.

It was after three so he should be out of school by now.

He responded on the third ring, “Hey! Katie I am so glad you called. I was just going to call you!” He said with an almost guilty tone to his voice.

She brushed it off though, she was probably just a little nervous or her nerves were really strained out. “Hey Tommy. Don’t worry, I just woke up anyway.”

“Oh okay, I am glad I didn’t call and wake you up then.”  He said, still an unsteady tone in his voice. There was definitely something wrong. I just didn’t want to admit it to myself.

“How was your day?” I asked, trying to keep the conversation away from the obvious question that I wanted to ask.

“It was fine. Are you feeling better baby?” He asked.

Now that was weird... He never called me baby. It was always sweetie or honey... What was going on? Where was this coming from? Did she even dare ask? Or just leave and assume he had a new pet name for her? Maybe it was a good thing... Maybe this mean the relationship was going even farther forward.

“I feel a lot better, thanks.” She replied. “Tommy?”

“Yes baby?”

There it was again! Maybe it was just a new pet name! Nothing to fear at all!

“Um... Is everything okay?” She asked hesitantly.

There was a hesitation on the other line. She could hear him wanting to stay something but holding back, was there bad news? Was that why he didn’t want to tell her? Because she was ‘sick’ and didn’t want to cause her any stress while she was trying to recover? Yes, that was a very logical explanation!

Tom took a breath and then said “Katie, there is something we need to talk about...”

“Oh? Well, what’s wrong?” She asked, a sickening feeling beginning to grow in the pit of her stomach.

Another hesitation “Could you meet me at the diner? I would rather talk about this in person...”

“Um, sure. When?”

“Ten minutes how about? Our usual booth?” He said with a more strong tone in his voice.

Katherine inhaled deeply “Okay. I will see you there then.”