Chapter 5

"Happy twelve birthday to us," Dick whispers as the clock strikes twelve am, signaling that it is finally the first day of December.

I hug him gently as we sit on the edge of a building and a cold breeze blowing as a distant church bell chimes twelve times.

"Happy birthday to us," I echo quietly and reach for something in my pocket, a small wrapped gift. I gently grab his hand and place the gift in it and close his hand around it.

Dick looks over at me. "Thanks sis, I left yours at home so.." He smiles sheepishly as he looks down at his hands.

I laugh quietly and stretch my arms, adjusting my mask. "It's fine, and we should keep patrolling. Don't want Dad to be mad at us for staying in one place to long again."

Dick smile and stands while answering, "True, so come on Chickadee, let's go find us some criminals to thwart."

My grappling hook is in my hand as I stand up also, glancing at my brother in his red and black costume once before firing the device in my hand and having it pull me away. I hear Dick fire his and I know he is following me, honestly my dear brother probably will pass me. He always does no matter how hard I try, he always passes me.

"Try to keep up Dee!" Dick shouts gleefully back at me as he passes me on his grappling hook's line, again.

I sigh and try to make my grappling hook pull me faster, but it can't. I have no clue how he does it, and Im pretty sure that it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Robins fly faster than Chickadees. At least, I don't think so. Im smaller than him so I should be faster, who knows I guess.

My brother hear no response from me until I land next to him on the rooftop of the building we grappled to, tucking our grappling hooks into our utility belts.

"You know I try Rob, but you always pass me." I mumble as I nudge his arm with mine.

He just laughs, looking down a the alleys below us for any signs of trouble. Nothing, zero, zilch, nada, not a single cry for help or alarm.

"You know, I think that Dad does something when he is away on League business. Every single time he is gone not a thing happens in Gotham," Dick grumbles quietly as he sits on the ledge.

While shrugging I sit next to him, punching his arm lightly. "Who knows Dick, who knows. Maybe he do-"

My sentence is interrupted by an explosion coming from a few blocks away from us. We both jump up and take out our grappling guns, firing them towards the building and swinging away.

"So much for that theory," I joke as we near the building and Dick just shrugs.

Out of the corner of my eye I see a few shadows running the opposite direction of the burning building, very suspicious.

"Robin, I just saw some people running away from the building." I tell him this as I fire my grappling hook in that direction and jump off the building to pursue the figures.

I hear my brother call something to me about civilians in the building, but I just know Dad wouldn't want us to try and save any of them. We aren't super powered, we aren't immortal, and we aren't him.