Neptune Rex

I was practically dragged out of bed. Before I saw anything, I heard Murphy's voice in a rasping whisper, "Jules, now. Trust me. Please hurry." It seemed darker than usual, though being sleepy, I did not then reason why. I could see it was Murphy leaning across me. It was not that unusual I let him share the berth to sleep, but I did not recall having done so this night, which made it all the more strange.

"I'm not dressed," I said, or mumbled something like it. I did have the loose, blue shalwar covering my lower limbs. "Are we sinking?"

"No. But you must come." His fingers and then his palm slid beneath my right armpit.

I did trust Murphy on important matters, so I rolled toward him and then grasped the ladder. The portholes glowed dimly blue, but the interior lighting was out and I heard not a noise from our engines. I saw Sina ahead of us on one of the ladders, illuminated from above, in pale headwrap and dress. Murphy too, I could see looking back at him as he pushed me onto the ladder, was half dressed. This made our circumstances seem truly odd; I would have sworn this man even slept impeccably dressed.

We climbed outside onto the fin. The first I saw was that Alpha was also here before us and lightly dressed. The next I noticed was that the stars were still visible in a pre-dawn sky, but that there was warm light on his back. Then I saw the mast and the sailing yacht alongside the Narcís.

The aft hatch opened and an unfamiliar voice-- male and accented nearly like Dolores -- called up, "I found these two hiding!"

Murphy pressed his hands to my back and I moved forward, almost such that I touched Sina and Alpha in front of me. Looking between them I saw the bearded figure holding a trident on the deck of the yacht. I thought that I was seeing something that could not be and I was sure that some reasonable explanation must soon present itself.

Garin and Dolores came up from the hatch and veritably threw themselves onto the deck within the fin. "Oh, please don't take me. Not to Davy Jones Locker!" Garin cried. This was so unlike him, I knew it must be an act.

The man with a trident brew upon a shell and a low tone came from it. Then, from within the Narcís, another man came, this one bearded, wearing an eye patch and otherwise costumed in antique fashion. "Pay proper respect to King Neptune, Lord of the Seas you scallywags and pollywogs," said this fancy dress pirate.

King Neptune was certainly not a god, but possibly crew or captain of this yacht posing shirtless and in spangled trousers as the King of the Sea. In the lamp light, it seemed his beard was made of combed rope or mop strings, through his head of gray hair seemed a true sign of his age.

"Please, King Neptune, have I not made all the proper prayers and sacrifices?" Alpha asked.

"Perhaps in the past Captain, but what of your present voyage and crew? You took them beyond the Mediterranean without being proper initiates, and now you wish to pass again though the Pillars without payment?"

"I'm no pollywog!" Dolores said.

"These two!" Garin said. He moved his hand toward Sina and me.

The costumed pirate pulled us aftward, where I saw a plank set between the vessels. Sina took a breath, then walked one foot after the other onto the plank. I looked back to my crewmates and they smiled or laughed.

I walked out onto the plank, more afraid I'd make a wrong step and be responsible for sending Sina into the sea than I would fall myself.

"Not my cousin!" Murphy called.

"This pollywog?" Neptune asked, "Why should she be spared?"

"Sina's consecrated to the god of the Moon, whose tidal power holds sway even over your waters, if you upset him, no ports will be safe."

Beside me, Sina turned to Murphy with an angry glare and spoke to him in rushed Arabic.

"And this other?"

"We must have a sacrifice!" the pirate said.

I looked once more to my crewmates. Garin and Dolores laughed. Murphy smirked most mischievously. But, Alpha's eyes were downcast and his lips pressed tight. I saw his finger clench the edge of the fin wall, as if he prepared to vault over it to reach us.

Something prodded my hip and I fell forward into the water. I went under entirely, gasping and flailing. I was soon aware of a hand beneath my chin. I was able to hear then. There was laughter. Somewhere close Sina spoke to me, "Only me, Julien. Keep your face up. Move your legs like scissors."

I knew how to tread water. That was, I remembered knowing in the past, but to my shame I had panicked upon hitting the water and it was like I had forgotten what to do.

"Does he really not know how to swim?" Dolores asked. "Use this." I was still blinking salty seawater from my eyes, but I was soon able to focus on the pale floating shape Sina pressed towards my chest.

"I can't!" I gasped, recognizing the floating device as part of a bustle.

"Do not try to use your mouth to breathe," Sina said.

Above the pirate spoke, "You cheating scallywag! Into the drink with you!"

I saw Dolores hop onto the plank and then spring off into the water.

"He's had enough," Alpha said.

"You are fine. Our Narcís is here," Sina said, pulling me with her. I felt the smooth metal hull along my side, and then Alpha lifted me upon out of the water and into the fin.

"I'm sorry I made Sina fall."

"No. She jumped after you." Alpha held me with arms against my back. "You're all right."

I held fast to him.

---

The #Wattys2015 People's Choice Award is decided this week (August 24-31). If you want to nominate The Iron Man, please share it to twitter using the hashtag #MyWattysChoice .