Venus in Jodhpurs

Murphy and Darzi were speaking to each other, but I didn't catch the words. As they stopped on the terrace, Murphy said, "Darzi was just saying that he didn't recognize us at first."

"You've dressed differently today," Darzi said. "I did not know you for the men we met in Wadi Maghara. I am glad now for your invitation. Thank you."

"You're welcome," I said.

"This is my friend, Julien," Murphy said. "He's recently moved to Egypt from London." Murphy knelt near the fire to prepare the tea.

"I see," Darzi said. He did not say it, but I suspected familiarity with Bombay on the Thames. It seemed likely Murphy had intentionally said London, instead of England or Britain, in order to  explain my attire.

"Julien Dangerous," I said.

"Zain William Darzi." He extended a hand, which I shook. "My mother's parents were born in Britain."

"Sit. Please," Murphy said.

I sat down near the book, while Darzi sat opposite.

"My brothers and nephew will be returning for dinner. You are welcome to join us."

Darzi nodded.

I worried that Murphy's invitation, though polite, was too soon. How should Darzi decide to stay for dinner when he'd not yet been served his tea?

"So," I said, "you are studying at Egyptian University in Cairo?"

"Yes. Archaeology. But, the campus is in Giza."

"Yes, of course. I drove past it not long ago. Tyron graduated from Egyptian University."

"Samir. He is your father? He mentioned that to us."

Murphy finished spooning loose tea into the pot before looking up. "Yes. Samir al-Isra, whom you met, is my father and Sultan of South Sinai." Murphy added some mint leaves to the pot. "I went to Egyptian University and then I studied at the Sorbonne for a year, towards my same degree in Literature."

"Literature."

"Focus on French and English," Murphy said, "but then I accepted an offer for a military position because the pay is better." He laughed.

"Curious how common that is in Egypt, given we are in peace time."

Murphy shrugged. "Among nations that signed the Pax, the Military Caste serves protective function and is otherwise and largely ceremonial." He was paraphrasing the Pax itself. "And beside protecting citizens in our waterways, the Egyptian Navy mainly conducts large-scale science experiments the Scribe Caste can not themselves safely conduct."

I didn't know if that part were true, but I was pretty certain it was a standard response the Malik gave to foreign nations. 

"Is it very different where you are from?" I asked.

"It is," Darzi said. "I am from Punjab in Western Bharat."

"I see." I knew from my experience in London that it was most often separatists who used the term Western Bharat without first being asked where their rajya lay within the nation's borders.

"The Company," Darzi said, "does not make statements acknowledging large-scale experiments of any sort."

"That does not mean they do not conduct them," Murphy said, as he poured the tea. "Germany has assigned a surprising percentage of the population to the Scribe Caste for a nation that publicly celebrates rural lifestyle."

"I hadn't realized," Darzi said. He accepted a glass of tea as Murphy slid it to his side of the tray.

Murphy continued serving the tea.

"How did you come to study Archaeology in Egypt?" I asked.

"There are ancient cities where I live," Darzi said. "Near the Sindh River. Locals have always known the tells or ruins, but they were only noticed by antiquarians in the last century. Now, there is an opportunity for us, as in Egypt, to have native archaeologists make our own scientific study of our artifacts. Many of the best archaeologists are in Cairo."

I took my tea and sipped from the glass.

"My brother, Nablus, this is his house, he is very interested in ancient Khemit." Murphy moved the basket of food to look inside.

"Which of you plays the sitar?" Darzi asked. "We heard it that night in the Valley of Inscriptions."

"That's me," Murphy said.

Darzi nodded.

"Most of my family dances. Not professionally, of course! At weddings or holidays." He took a mesh bag containing dates from the basket and offered it to Darzi.

Darzi hesitated.

"They are from Maya's tree," Murphy said. "Our family owns a portion of the trees in the oasis. I have a tree, too, but it doesn't bear fruit; it only makes pollen."

Darzi smiled at that, almost laughed. He took the bag of dates. "Sitar is not that common in Egypt, is it?"

Murphy moved from the fire to collect some other pots and utensils. "No. I learned from one of the Dom. In Cairo, you may have seen, there are certain streets where they will play music and dance. Friends from school took me to see the Ghawazi, and the troupe had this older man who played sitar."

"What are Dom and Ghawazi?" I whispered.

"In English they would be called Gypsies," Darzi said.

I nodded. "Thank you."

Murphy returned to the fire and took some other items from the basket, which I supposed to be preparation for dinner.

"Dumi is how Nath calls himself," Murphy explained, "He learned sitar when his family traveled, after Muhammad Ali Pasha expelled their people from Cairo. They settled again in Egypt after the revolt."

As Murphy was saying this, Fahim, Ilham and Fir'awn returned together. Murphy first introduced them to Darzi, and then introduced Darzi to the family. There was a bit of commotion as everyone found seats.

Maya came across the yard, then, carrying some bit of fabric in each hand. She stepped into Nablus' and held out pieces of black and pink cloth.

"Ty," she said loudly, "I need your worldly opinion. If I were to wear a veil, should I go with  traditional embroidery, or since Code says 'as needed by climate or faith' can I choose any color?"

Fahim and Ilham gestured her away. "Maya," they said. "We have a guest!"

Maya turned to look on Darzi, holding the pink veil in front of her face.

"Blue thread, if you expect a Bedouin husband," Murphy said.

"Or maybe just a dupatta," I suggested.

-----

Chapter 96!

The media is the video for the song "Cruel" by Snakehips ft. ZAYN. I was looking for another ZAYN song because Darzi is in this chapter. I liked that this song had the lyric "Venus in Converse", which seems an allusion to Venus in Furs (which I first knew through the Velvet Underground song, but is also the title of a curious 19th Century novel involving female dominance upon which that song is based, and in which cruelty plays some part). I asked myself: What bit of clothing more relevant to the story setting also rhymes with furs/converse? And I arrived at jodhpurs. And Maya wears pants.

And I feel like I'm explaining a joke, which is bad and usually a way to ruin things. But, I'm not looking for credit. I'm saying, "Guys! All that symbolism just accidentally appeared in my story because I searched for ZAYN videos on Youtube!"

Our world is so mysterious.