Need to Know

I rested, with Murphy sitting beside me in Alpha's bed, but I could not sleep. As relaxing as it was having my very own dandy combing fingers through my hair, I had slept most of the night before. So, I was glad when Sina knocked at the door and entered to bring me tea. She told us that Alpha had called a crew meeting to start in a short while. I was glad for the excuse to wake, but maybe not as glad to end our time alone.

The meeting was held in the dining room about the table, which was once gain brightly lit by electric arc-light fixtures. Our two guests joined us, seated either side of Dolores. We were once again in our usual attire, though in this case I wore garments more suited to a dobby than a valet or junior tailor. Our Neptune now seemed a mid-aged man with the rolled-sleeves of the manual caste, and his younger companion rather more of a swell.

Alpha introduced them first to Sina and I-- our crewmates had met them in the past. "Chief Quim Custodio Estarriol is one of our engineers and responsible for designing and fabricating much of our Narcís."

"Chief Custodio, or Quim," he said, and continued with a generous smile, "Good to meet you."

"And our friend Professor Oriol Prim Estarriol is an acoustical engineer who also created parts of our submari." This man seemed of an age with Alpha, and smiled at him as the introduction was made.

"Just Prim," he said.

"Chief Custodio and Prim are here to escort us to our submari's home-port on Eivissa, where we will be operating while some new equipment is installed." Some part seemed to be for my benefit, as Alpha met my eyes across the table, and I expected the others to know the location of their usual ports already. "They'll be making some observations of the Narcís while underway, so I'll be asking some of you to go help on the Hippocampus."

"Meaning me," Murphy said with a laugh.

"Or, I could go and leave you in command here," Alpha told him. "Gentlemen," he said then, "Our new members are both Murphy's recruits. You can call them Sina and Jade." He waved his hand toward Sina and me, seated either side of Murphy.

"Jade," Garin said from across the table, "that's sharp."

I shook my head. Beneath the table Murphy squeezed my hand. He grinned as I turned to look at him.

"It is a new nom de guerre, but I've determined he'll need one, as Jade will from now be considered part of our unit. Sina's our best battle dancer. Between the two they have ability to make whatever togs we need. Since Jade is the newer recruit, I need all of you to help me get him trained so he can be the most help to us. That means if I send him to shadow you, you show and tell him how we do things," Alpha looked pointedly at Murphy.

"Aye aye, Captain."

"Dismissed then, except for Jade, Sina, and Murphy."

I lifted my cup to take a sip of tea. Dolores went toward the engine room and Garin the bridge, while Chief Custodio and Prim climbed to the upper wetrooms to reach their yacht.

Alpha sat down at the table, leaving an empty seat between us, Murphy and Sina being at my other side. "I had opportunity to communicate with Cairo by way of Tangiers. Sina, no word from the mountain, but Cairo supports your continued placement with the team. I would like you to start teaching Jade our battle dance."

She glanced at me, "Aye, Captain. For all the parts?"

"Begin with Ghat's part." He paused as Sina nodded understanding, "If you'll excuse us now?"

Sina left towards the parlor.

"Julien-"

"You call everyone else by their war-name," I said.

"Would you prefer that? Even when the others are gone?"

"No...."

Alpha sighed. "You'll still not be military for a while, but it's been put at my discretion whether I consider you part of the unit. From now you are, you understand?" I nodded and Alpha continued, "We receive orders from someone high in the Egyptian government, but if we're asked, we've never worked for Egypt at all. We're simply to be seen as rebel kapareghora."

"I believe I understand."

"The code phrase for the unit is Aristotle."

"Because it means 'the best purpose'?"

"Because he's a favorite of mine." Alpha smiled.

"I still say he was a right snipper-snapper." I knew Alpha disagreed with me, but I had during lessons giving readings of Aristotle's philosophy in the tone of irritated disdain.

Murphy laughed beside me, hearing this theory for the first time.

"You seem well rested," Alpha said.

"I am. Thank you." I appreciated his concern, even though it felt he looked on me as a child. I lifted my head high as I continued, "I would like to get back to work."

"Very well. We'll keep on with lessons, of course. You'll need to learn our dance. We'll work on both physical training and protocol. Once we're on Eivissa, you and I will go swimming."

"I could teach him," Murphy offered.

Alpha looked between us, his muted green eyes flicking from Murphy to me and back. "I'm better qualified to teach Julien to swim, but as I said, if I send him to shadow you then I'll hold you responsible for how well he learns. Teach him the Scipio."

The-"

"Even if you do not see the need. I want him to know it."

Alpha's eyes fixed on mine. "Murphy will also teach you how we contact others and who we can trust. Do not share anything you learn among us with others, unless Murphy or I say you should. Do you understand, Jade?"

"Aye aye."

"Custodio and Prim, for example, are members of our support staff. Information related to the Narcís they need to know. And for their safety, that is all."