Voyeurs

In the drawing room, Valentine informed us that the electrical engineer we were to meet would be arriving within the next day, via the rail bridge that connected the historic center of Venèxia to the mainland. As both the Zephyr and our hotel were on the Lido, one of the separate islands making up the greater comune of Venèxia, we would hire a smaller boat to make our rendezvous. 

That alone was our official mission.

However, Murphy expected Miranda to visit by evening. I hoped we might be of help to her and the other weavers who were part of Hypatia's intelligence gathering network. I had not yet met Hypatia, but had only recently come to understand she was Alpha's trusted contact in Alexandria and privy to all of the operations conducted by Team Aristotle.

We had the afternoon to pass, and though the prospects of a walk along the Lido beach or a real gondola ride were tempting-- Hedone mentioned each to us several times --there was no way to leave and yet be certain to return in time to find Miranda.

So, I sat in an armchair, attempting to sketch my companions. I was beginning to gain some artist's objectivity, or so I thought at least. I remembered how Alpha had described the feeling of looking at an artist's model in a personal manner, and how that feeling had changed. But, I found now that I sometimes shifted between the two states without intention. It happened sometimes with Hedone, that I was able to see xem as a subject composed of lines, volume, color and shade, and then in a moment was surprisingly struck with a sense of looking at someone beautiful.

It happened with Murphy as well. When I looked long at his face to make my sketch, sometimes I forgot to draw.  It was as if I were transfixed by the length of eyelashes or the curve of a lip.

As I sketched, I had the curious feeling, again, that someone was watching. I glanced up. Murphy and Sina seemed to be speaking to each other. Hedone looked somewhere past me. Valentine appeared to be reading the review.

"Do you feel as if we are being watched?" I whispered.

"Yes," Murphy said from the chair beside mine, "By you. Most intently." He lifted a picture-novel and fanned himself.

"I'm serious."

"Hedone?" Murphy asked.

"No one obviously out of place on your side of the room," Hedone said.

"Or yours." I realized the others had been vigilant in watching our surroundings while I had focused only on my own companions.

Valentine made a breathy huff. "Perhaps you have an admirer, Jade."

"More likely one of you." I glanced about the room but saw no one obviously looking back, just hotel guests in reg proper, wearing the pale shades suited to late summer at the beach.

"Walk with me, Jade," Murphy suggested. He stood and looked then to Sina.

"I'm fine here," she said.

I got up from my chair and allowed Murphy to take my hand.

"We'll stay close," Murphy told the others.

I walked with him out onto a column-lined portico.

"If someone is watching or following, then a change of location can sometimes force them out," he told me. "And when the windows are dark, you can watch behind you as in a mirror."

I looked at the window as Murphy lifted my hand and kissed my fingers. I could not see well into the interior, where we had recently been, but saw the reflection of a governess ushering young wards quickly along the portico.

I saw Murphy's eyes shift to the side and track after the children. He frowned.

"Some people find all manner of public affection objectionable," I said, then continued along the walkway. I glanced over my shoulder and saw Murphy follow.

"That included you as well, until recently," he said quietly as we walked.

I smiled and tipped my hat to some hotel guests as we passed close. "But recently I am a pretend secretary," I reminded him.

"Then should you not protest by saying, 'Sir, please, remember I am your meek secretary'?"

"Why should the secretary be meek?"

"This is my fancy, I am saying the secretary is meek."

"Your fancy? I think not." I looked up at Murphy from the corners of my eyes. He smiled. "I know you like me best when I tell you off."

"Perhaps I pretend to be another sort of employer."

"Then do not complain that I tolerate your every forward gesture," I said. I stopped and turned toward Murphy.

He began to speak. "Jules...." A fellow guest stepped to one side to move around us. As the man moved, I saw another person behind stop and turn toward the hotel windows.

I put a finger to Murphy's lips. I whispered to him. "On your right. A lady in white."

His eyes shifted. "It's summer. They are all in white."

"It's a ruffle-trimmed frock. She's suddenly interested in her parasol. In a white veil."

"Mosquito net on a bonnet," Murphy whispered.

The lady turned and walked across the breadth of the portico to stand looking out onto the beach. 

"Should we--?" I began.

"For now, we'll go around the building in back in, to our friends," Murphy said.

We walked together, casual as before, around the hotel's walls to the street entrance. We entered the lobby and then made our way to the drawing room, where Sina, Hedone, and Valentine yet waited. I took up my sketchbook from the chair and began to quickly sketch the design of the lady's ruffled dress.

"There was someone who seemed to follow," Murphy said, but I don't know more than that.

"She's wearing a dress like this," I said, turning the book to show the page.

"That looks like a real croquis," Sina said.  

"And you drew it so quickly," Hedone added.

I shrugged. "It's much easier to draw ruffles than press them." Ironing ruffles properly was most time consuming.

-----------

The Iron Man is getting close to that 1000 reads mark. Again, I thank all my readers for your support through reads, votes, comments, list adds, shares, and other mentions. I hope that I am making things fun and enjoyable for everyone. :)

Also, obvious homage is obvious, right?  Credit where due to Thomas Mann and  Luchino Visconti.