Feast of Horns

The barques of the Egyptian Sky Navy were aloft before dawn, the largest of these, called Hor-em-Akhet, rose on a deep red balloon filled with some lighter-than-air gas while smaller ships had boilers or furnaces to fill their purple or black balloons with heated air. Garin went up with the crew of the Heru, as the large flagship was called for short, where he was to assist in photography and coordinating ray communications.

At dawn came the second call to prayer, which could be heard as far as Mena house. I did not consider it my call to pray, but it seemed familiar to me now, like the tower and church bells that chimed across London. It was after dawn that our team was formally introduced to the Malik's special cabinet.

I already knew Mr. Tesla, and had the day before met Dr Hassan, who was an Egyptian younger than Nikola and a peer in age to the Malik and thus of that diminished generation most likely to have served in the war. As the others entered the hall, collecting coffee, tea, or juice on their way to their seats, I recognized Thierry.

The man from La Nouvelle was dressed for warmer weather, in lighter colors and fabrics, but still in top hat and tails. It was against Code for the time and place-- he certainly wasn't attending a morning wedding --but considering no part of the Americas had been party to the Pax, Thierry might have had a diplomatic exemption, if he were even in the country legally.

Another man, perhaps a few years senior to Hassan or the Malik, I recognized from photos. He was Mr. Howard Carter, one of the few British to remain in Egypt in the years during and after the war, and famous for his discoveries in the Valley of the Kings. He dressed in European styled workman's attire, appropriate to his reputation for close involvement in excavations.

The final present member of the cabinet I did not know. He appeared a European dressed in a handsome light brown suit who sat drinking tea. A short while later, after Alpha had made  introductions of our team to the cabinet, the Malik introduced this last cabinet member to us as Mr. David Houdin-Wight, known professionally as The Great Devant.

As this introduction was made, the doors opened to admit Lady Antonia and a group that included Hypatia, Queen Elena, and Valentine. Mr Houdin-Wight, apparently a gentleman, stood in the presence of the arriving ladies. Seeing Tesla, Hassan, and Carter follow suit, I did the same. Jewel, like the Catalans, did not follow this custom, whether on basis of gender or class I did not know.

Ariella greeted her husband Malik Paris Arafa, but they did nothing more than clasp hands and lean toward each other in whispers. The Malik made further introductions and then invited his special cabinet to join him outside. As they made their way to the doors, Elena went with them.   

"There are guests including members of the press arriving now," Hypatia reported.

Alpha glanced to his mother, perhaps to see if she meant to make a speech to the group. She made a wave of her hand prompting him to continue.  "Our job is to keep peace between the cabinet and the guests invited to observe," Alpha said. "One or two of us will be assigned to each. The Malik has his own bodyguards. Mr. Hassan and Mr. Carter do not require so much guidance as the others. See that they have what they need, but be prepared to politely remove them from other guests if they seem overwhelmed. Understood?"

I prayed silently that Alpha did not assign me to Thierry.

"I will keep an eye on Mr. Jewel," Alpha said. "Mother will be a suitable companion for Queen Elena." This meant that Elena was counted among the special cabinet. "Hypatia, if you would make certain Mr. Carter has whatever he needs."

"I will," Hypatia said, but her lips pressed tightly in a frown.

"Erik, can I ask you to look after Dr. Hassan?"

Across our table Valentine nodded.

"Hedone, Dolly, you will both assist Mr. Tesla." Alpha glanced to Valentine to check the command was acceptable.

"Aye, Captain," Dolores answered.

"Prim," Alpha paused, "Please go with Lady Antonia, but be prepared to cover for Hypatia or I if we're called away."

"Of course," Prim agreed.

"Jade, you'll be responsible for Mr. Houdin-Wight. Chief, I'd like you to go with them. The Malik says Houdin-Wight's some kind of engineer as well as entertainer from England."

Outside, I located Chief Quim Custodio and Mr. David Houdin-Wight among the massing crowd of guests. The car park and grounds were thick with vehicles and animal to take passengers. I saw traffic like caravan trains moving west towards the Necropolis Camp and south to the monuments.

"Mr. Houdin-Wight," I introduced myself again, "J. D. Stocking. Assigned as your escort. You may call me Julien."

"A pleasure." He offered his hand. "David. Please."

"Chief Custodio," I said, "a civilian consultant to the Egyptian Navy." They shook hands. "Where would you like to visit?"

David lifted a shola-style pith helmet from under his arm; a familiar British make covered in khaki cloth. "From outside in, the way those approaching from Cairo would have seen. Perhaps at those Sphinx temples."

Among the crowd, I recognized Hakim and waved.

"My friend David wants to see the Sphinx and temples."

"If you need animals, today, the Malik will pay," Hakim said, "Some hire a guide."

We requested donkeys on Hakim's advice, and then on my advice that Hakim knew the Necropolis as his own yard, David hired him as his guide.

As we passed the Great Pyramid on our way to the Sphinx, there was a sounding of horns. It was too early for the next call to prayer, and not followed by any vocalization; only further horns. The sound echoed off the stone monuments as if surrounding us.

"In celebration of the Jewish holy day," David said.

------

Chapter 65!

Up to 2564 reads 379 votes and 233 comments.

I apologize for the update hiatus. It was unexpected. I hope to be able to get back on a regular schedule. I'm unable to give a suitable reason, other than I had difficulty envisioning how this chapter should proceed.

The media for the chapter is a live version of Madonna's song Isaac, which features the sound of a shofar.