Commotions

When Jean-Daniel and I met the Fashion Police in the hotel lobby, I didn't have any fear for myself. If I had stopped, even for an instant, to really think about it, I should have been afraid, but I was not thinking. Everything had been altered from the moment I found Murphy lying on the beach. I felt that there could not not be Murphy. And so I had to be Murphy.

I felt like Sarasvati had blessed me by putting Jean-Daniel in my path, for I couldn't have become Murphy without him. As much as he crafted haughty, cruel airs, Jean-Daniel's intention was the same as mine for the time, and the selflessness of our intent in drawing attention to protect others made our actions pure.

I cut through the police tape with my Scipio the way I'd seen Murphy do in London.

In our sparring matches, I'd learned that the ribbon on this Scipio had been originally placed as a peace binding to prevent quick drawing in the presence of a monarch. That it was secured to both grip and scabbard meant I had a weapon with two parts that I could release and retract. It meant the Gendarmes weren't the only ones who could trip and bind opponents.

It meant I could do an essentially ineffective but highly impressive looking stunt by grasping the ribbon just above the grip and spinning the blade until it blurred and sang.

"Julien?"

I looked across the drawing room, over fallen gendarmes and hotel guests attempting to shelter behind furniture. Inspector Priest was there! I yanked the ribbon and caught the hooked grip of the Scipio as it came back to me. I swung it out again, and saw the inspector duck to avoid the swinging blade.

The move bought seconds in which he was unable to go on the offensive. "Time to cut and run!" I called to Jean-Daniel.

As a whistle sounded, Jean-Daniel struck one of the gendarmes in the head with the pommel of one of his swords, then made a sharp nod in my direction. Jean-Daniel strode toward the doors to the portico.

I followed, stooping or reaching down several times to take cuffs and tape from fallen gendarmes, which I dropped into my pockets. I spooled the ribbon about the scabbard of my Scipio as I side-stepped out onto the portico.

A honking sound drew my attention toward a walk parallel to the raised and covered portico. Valentine's ALFA was there, and he stood near its wheel, tyrolean hat cocked forward to shade his face. "Jade!" He called, though I was already on my way. 

"Here! Moulin Rouge!" I called; it seemed wrong I should use his name while we were masked.

Jean-Daniel turned back and evidently understood my gestures to go to the cab. We climbed in as the gendarmes led by Inspector Priest were rushing down the steps. Valentine drove the sports-cab off road across walkways and private beach, heading for the Zephyr's dock.

I heard whistles behind, and supposed the Fashion Police would soon have brought their strongcars around. When I glanced back, they were still on foot. Beside me, Jean-Daniel lifted his kilt to fix his oriental daggers to the straps about his thighs. I only watched for a moment.

"Listen, Oncle," Jean-Daniel leaned forward to speak closer to Valentine's ear. "The Gendarmerie apparently know this blouse here on sight," he waved a hand at me though there was no way Valentine could view the gesture, "if you don't want that dandy sailor of his in a prison ward, you need to give me the cab."

"No--" I started. I couldn't believe Valentine would part with his ALFA, or that Jean-Daniel could truly be trusted.

"Jade, what's the fop talking about?"

Jean-Daniel hissed at Valentine, but I answered, "Apparently, wearing a mask across the eyes does not prevent a daring kapareghora from being recognized. Inspector Priest is here. From London."

Jean-Daniel continued, "I can draw them off. If you take time to load the cab on a ship, the gendarmes will catch up."

"Draw them off to where?" I asked, "The Lido's an island. They'll watch ferries!" 

"Worried?" Jean-Daniel puckered his lips at me.

I sneered at him.

"It might be amusing to take you to Paris. I could introduce you to Collette, or Mademoiselle Gustafsson."

"Who?"

Jean-Daniel tsked and rolled his eyes. "Chéri, vous êtes comme un bébé." He thought I was some infant for not knowing these women.

Valentine pulled the sports-cab about to the right and then brought it to a stop. He twisted in his seat to look toward Jean-Daniel. "If I hear my ALFA went into the lagoon, I will come for you."

Jean-Daniel tipped his head and smiled. "You are handsome when you make threats...in a rugged fashion."

Valentine rose, pointed out the hand-brake to Jean-Daniel, and then climbed down from the driver's seat. "Come along, Jade."

I was still shocked Valentine had surrendered his cab. I opened to door and climbed down to the beach.

Jean-Daniel hopped from the rear to front seat and was quick to slide behind the wheel. He looked side-wise at me, "You give that sailor a kiss for me."

I did not know what to say, and I did not really need to say anything as Jean-Daniel drove away. But, I realized I wanted to kiss Murphy. I greatly wanted him to wake to have that chance.

When I reached the Zephyr with Valentine, I went directly to Dr. Laurus' medical bay. Sina was seated outside the door. She looked up to me and I hesitated. I stood there, still carrying the Scipio, mask pushed up into my hair. I dreaded that she would say he hadn't made it.

"We cannot go in," Sina said.

I tried the door anyway.

"Julien," Sina called.

The door opened and inside Dr. Laurus and Mr. Tesla stood either side of the table upon which Murphy lay, convulsing, with wires connected to his chest.

-------------

Media for this one is, of course, the Madonna song Causing a Commotion.

The Iron Man has over 1,500 reads now. So, in Wattpad fashion, it took about 5 months to get that first 1,000 reads, and less than a month to get the next 500. Thank you, thank you!

So, let me say, if you like happen to like Dark Fantasy or Vampires as much as Steampunk Adventure, you can check-out my other works, because some of them have been  on Wattpad 10 months and still haven't broken that 1,000 read mark. (Most likely because they are Mature-rated.)

But, this work continues, of course. I'm writing Chapter 53 now, which means there's enough of a buffer I may do some double-updates.