Into the Pyramid

I knew I was late for breakfast the next morning. So, it stung all the more when Alpha knocked at our door to announce this fact. I could only gesture to Murphy at the dressing table seemingly contemplating a vial and wand of kohl.

"It was my fault, Antonia," he said, "everything is taking too long."

Alpha's face screwed-up with irritation, but relaxed almost as quickly. "Hurry up, Habibti."

Murphy turned, about to speak.

"You won't need liner inside the pyramid." Alpha flashed a smile, then stepped out and shut the door.

Murphy dragged the kohl across his lids.

"Aren't the words with 't' are often feminine?"

"Yes."  Murphy tossed the vial to the table. "But, at university, I did call everyone 'habibti'."

"Why?"

"I don't know, Habibi. I was...younger. " Murphy set his hat on his head. He looked himself in waistcoat, embroidered shirt, and linen kilt.

We hurried downstairs; Murphy better able to walk after another night's sleep. I took some flat aish baladi  and an apple from the buffet as the group was already dispersing for the day. 

I saw David wave from the front doors, where he waited with Nikola.

"It seems we're together, again,"David said, "though your friend Caroline has been invited to join another group. Our party have just gone outside with Mr. Carter."

Beside us, Murphy and Nikola greeted each other, after being kept apart by the Malik's demands the night before. "Are you feeling strong enough to forego the chair?" Nikola said just loudly enough that I overheard.

"Can I ride in it?" I asked, turning to where the rolling chair waited near the doors.

"Like some toff who can't be bothered to walk for himself?"

"I realize I'm not in need of it. I thought you might be sorry, later, if you got tired."

Murphy frowned and shook his head. My ploy had been rather transparent.

Through the doors, we found Alpha and Howard outside, along with Thierry, Prim and a flock of camels. Murphy practically skipped down the steps, where Alpha greeted him by embracing Murphy, with an arm over his shoulders.

Murphy made some joke, which was in Arabic, or rather it was in an Egyptian dialect—I was just beginning to be able to hear the difference. Something about owing him more than loyalty.

"He hates camels," Murphy explained. Alpha must have obtained the camels knowing Murphy would refuse to use the chair. His ploy, however obvious, seemed the more welcome.

"Tyron actually likes camels," Alpha said. Thierry, watching from under his umbrella, did not appear as excited.

"It is true," Murphy said. "If a boy has a sword and a camel he can go far. A steam-cab will not find its own water." He cried out and put his hand to his head.

"Murphy?"

"I sound like my father!"

Alpha laughed. "I recall he has several Hispano cabriolets as well as camels."

"Did you  meet each other's families while at university?"

Murphy nodded. He glanced at Alpha, probably to check his memory. "My father might have met Alpha during the war when serving with his father, but Alpha did come home with me."