Alexandria

It was pre-dawn when the Zephyr approached Alexandria, and past mid-September. I stood on the deck with Hedone and Nikola. We had often been together, while Valentine and the others performed usual shipboard duties. Now, I saw the entrance to the Eastern Harbor, with the beam of a modern lighthouse to the east, and the brilliant floodlights illuminating the Citadel of  Qait Bey to the west where the ancient Pharos lighthouse had once stood.

There was an amber glow of streetlights marking the edges of the harbor, and though the buildings were dark silhouettes at this hour, there were already sail and steam vessels moving over the water.

As the Zephyr moved into the harbor, the bright star of Leo's heart faded in the first glow of sunlight above the horizon. Our yacht shifted course for the docks to the west. The buildings and trees before us were then illuminated in a rosy light, and where the constellation of The Fish had been there were now fishing vessels and merchants.

After these days on the Zephyr, with no news of Alpha or Murphy, with Hedone and Nikola for company, I was anxious to see the rest of Team Aristotle again. I'd done my best to keep busy so I didn't have to think of the uncertainty of the future: teaching Hedone to use the Scipio such as I was able, listening attentively to Nikola over dinners, embroidering Murphy's damaged dress shirt, and sketching as much as needed to fill my time.

I searched for the Hippocampus from the bow of the Zephyr, but Alex's Eastern Harbor was vast enough that not spotting the single small yacht was as expected.

The Zephyr came finally to its dock. Hermes called over the voice tubes to say we might debark.

"Perhaps I should change my clothes," I said.

Hedone put a hand to my left arm, where I had embroidered a green and white flower along the lavender sleeve. "You look fine," xe said, "better, you look like you are wearing something meaningful."

"Alpha and Murphy didn't say much about this part." Egypt had signed the Pax, even if the Malik secretly opposed the Fashionista. It wasn't common for the Gendarmerie to operate this far from Paris, but they were not prevented from doing so. And, under the Pax, Egypt had its own specified sections of the dress code. A tartan kilt would be as suspicious here as a linen kilt in London, if not worn by a visiting Scots national.

I saw Nikola watching me expectantly. I was sure he was accustomed to Hedone and I discussing fashion in his presence by now. For his part, Mr. Tesla was ever impeccably dressed in reg proper suits fitting a member of the upper Scribe Caste, and always a polite gentleman in conversation. I was convinced in our brief travels that he was a genius at electrical engineering-- he'd recounted how he 'built' the device that saved Murphy in his mind before leaving the beach and gone on to construct it with parts from Hyacinth's workshop on the chance it would be needed.    

"If they've not sent someone to meet us, then it's just a matter of contacting Hypatia to confirm the address," I told him.

It was not long before we were all on the docks, with luggage on carts. Valentine said that he and Hedone would stay with me until we found Alpha, and I was glad of it. Valentine seemed a good man, though he and Hedone shared certain philosophies I did not. I did not understand, after spending time with him, that Alpha should dislike him so much.

We entered a port terminal for foreign passengers. I went first in the line and readied my papers. A clerk in scholarly European-styled suit checked my identification. He raised his hand to make a sign-like gesture and one of the blue-uniformed military guards stepped forward. "Please step to the side over the line."

I looked to the lines taped on the tile and then to the soldier. "Why?"

"Sir, please step to the side and over the marked line."

"Do as he says," Valentine whispered.

I was afraid now I'd done something or would be arrested. But, I knew there was no reasonable path but to follow the order.

A second soldier approached from within the marked area. "Sir, please have a seat."

There were many chairs, being like a waiting room and the space was enclosed on three sides by glass partitions. I took a seat. Was it my clothing? I wondered. I was not far out-of-caste in the kilt, dress shirt and waistcoat. Perhaps I should have worn a jacket, but even in the morning it was warm here. My old oxfords didn't look quite right, but they'd seemed better than chopines.

Valentine came and took the seat next to me.

"They separated you, too?"

"No, but I asked if we could wait with you."

"You did not have to."

"I promised Alpha to take care of you kids."

"Erik, no one thinks it your fault. I believe Murphy was targeted, but...I've already had to forgive myself for not being with him."

Valentine said nothing else, but put his hand on me to pat my back.

Hedone came then, holding a copy of The Review before xem. "Jade! You have to see this!"

I looked at the front page and saw a large photo of two sword-wielding figures in a hotel lobby. "Minerva!" I dropped my voice, "that's me." I grabbed the paper from Hedone. It was a French edition, but the meaning of the headline and caption were clear enough from the common terms and loan-words: Rebel Kapareghora -- hostile environment -- Gendarmerie -- Enemies of the Peace.

I read the caption explaining Ventian witnesses identified the two Kapareghora as Moulin Rouge and Vespa Verde.

"The Green Wasp? That's a terrible name!"

I was so intent on the paper didn't notice the woman flanked by guards until she spoke, "Hello, Erik."

"Hypatia."

-------------------

This is the special Wednesday update for this week.

The media for this chapter-- The Burning Bush from the Prince of Egypt soundtrack --makes my writing seem more epic than it probably is.

Also, for both this chapter and the previous In the Night chapter I used Starry Night Education online software to view simulates night skies for the relevant dates and locations.