Chapter Twenty One *

There was complete silence as each vampire in the room processed what Madrigal had just said. Masquerade was missing...

Evangeline was the first to regain her senses followed by myself and Cinder. Shade's face had turned a deep shade of purple and his eyes blazed red with fury. Desdemona rested a hand on his arm in an attempt to calm him down. My breath caught in my throat as I considered the two possibilities either Masquerade had crossed the Lucien Association or the rogues had taken her; I found myself hoping that she was with Frederick, at least she was safe.

Evangeline clapped her hands together, “The previously stated plan is off, we must find Masquerade immediately. I myself will alert the guards and ask them to scour the perimeter and outside areas. I want you to all to split up and search the manor, if you hear any news please report back to me and do not make any rash decisions, this is your lives that we are talking about,” her voice shook with emotion and I bit down on my lip. I couldn't imagine what she was feeling at that moment, for a mother to find out that her daughter's life was in danger...It was indescribable.

She had barely finished the orders before Shade, Thorn and Desdemona took off. Cinder and I also went our separate ways and I decided to check the restricted section of the library first, then to Cinder's room for some stakes after changing into some clothes which were more suited for combat.

Cinder was planning on heading to the roof, the highest point of the manor would give him a great vantage point and if anyone was seen heading away from the manor he could alert the guards.

The entire manor was in disarray and as I charged down the maze of corridors I could see vampires rushing left, right and centre. The Manor guards wee filing out of each exit, they had divided into two divisions, one to guard each entrance of the manor and the rest to survey the grounds; they weren't taking any chances even manoeuvring in the familiar buddy position.

I don't know why I had decided to head to the restricted section, but my instincts urged me to get there and fast. I wondered what I would do if I did find Masquerade held hostage by a rogue. I didn't feel strong enough to kill one even if my bloodline dictated otherwise. You can only prepare so much for a given situation, the rest is dictated by your thoughts, your movements and you determination.

I reached the library quickly, unsurprisingly it was deserted and an eerie silence had descended upon the rooms. Every defensive mechanism which was etched into my brain screamed at me to leave but I knew that I couldn't do that.

I snapped a leg from the nearest table, it wouldn't kill as it wasn't wrapped in wolfsbane but it could buy me the time to escape and yell for backup – or so I hoped.

I edged my way up to the top floor and peered out of a window. Below me I could see guards patrolling the area, it reassured me that there wasn't that much distance between myself and them.

I headed towards the tapestry, the edges were ripped as if someone had literally dived through it. I took a deep breath and quietly brushed it aside, the door was unlocked.

As I stepped inside the restricted section, I slipped on some liquid, a closer look caused my fangs to lengthen, that was when I realised with horror that I was standing in a pool of blood.

I inhaled deeply to locate the source of the blood, it was to my right, near the window. I slunk in the shadows towards the window, I was unwilling to give anything or anyone the chance to jump out at me. As I drew closer to the window an icy draught swirled around my body. I squinted into the darkness and realised that the largest window had been smashed; I had just located the rogue's escape route.

As I slipped towards the window, my toe caught something hard and I stumbled. There was a groaning noise and I looked down to see Petrick. My stomach twisted as blood dripped from a mass of torn flesh which I assumed was previously his throat.