Epilogue *

It was a week later and slowly the guilt I had felt about Masquerade's death had started to fade. The pain and loss was still there, but it was easier to manage now I had thrown myself into work.

Evangeline had managed to free Falcon and he had been busy rifling through Carnelian's belongings and deciphering his writings in order to discover a way to defeat the founding rogues.

I had been promoted and was now officially working alongside the guards and the Schwarz coven to come up with a war strategy. I'd also been busy working with Cinder, Shade and Thorn to run self defense classes for every vampire in the manor. Between my work load and my official relationship with Cinder I had my work cut out, but I finally felt a sense of belonging.

“You've been working all morning it's time for a tea break,” Cinder ordered as he handed me a china cup.

I smiled, “Thanks, this strategising thing is going really well, we've devised a systemwhich we thing will really benefit the vampires in battle,” I said happily.

“I'm glad that you're happy, take a walk with me?” He asked.

I consulted the clock, “Fine, but it can't take longer than ten minutes, Salazar is keeping me busy and the work won't do itself,” I teased.

“That's fine,” he agreed as he took my hand.

He led me outside, winter had quickly passed and it was a nice, spring day. A huge cherry blossom tree was in bloom and I smiled as soft, pink petals rained down on my face. I looked across the lake, my eyes landing on the porcelain mask that rested on Masquerade's grave.

“I think that she'd be happy that we're together,” said Cinder quietly.

I nodded fervently, “Yeah, she was a real sucker for true love, she'd be teasing me right now!” I joked.

Cinder smiled and cupped my face was his hands, he smiled softly as he drew close and touched his lips to mine.

“I love you Ebony, I really, really do,” he whispered.

I smiled, my lips brushing against his, “I love you too Cinder honestly and truly...forever,” I replied.

Now I knew more about the vampire world there were three things which I was one hundred percent certain of.

Firstly being a vampire wasn't actually as bad as I thought, secondly I was completely head over heels, unconditionally in love with Cinder Schwarz, and finally as I looked into my boyfriend's eyes I knew that in the face of the upcoming war we would both work our damned hardest to defeat the rogues and keep everyone safe.

I knew it in my heart because I, Ebony Noire, was the chosen one...