Chapter Five *

Despite Ash’s best efforts to keep me smiling, as we reached the doorway to rest of the world, fear gripped my heart. I paused as Ash held open the door, I was about to be thrust into a whole new realm full of bloodsucking creature and I definitely was not ready...

I took a deep breath and followed Ash, a sharp sting as if a nettle had brushed against my skin, snapped me out of my thoughts. With horror, I realised that accidentally brushed my arm against the wolfsbane coated door.

I let out a whimper as my skin bubbled in response to the poison, as if acid had been injected into my veins. I pressed my cool hand against the inflamed patch of skin and bit my lip to prevent myself from crying out loud.

Instantly Ash glided behind me and examined my arm, gently he rested a single, cold finger on the burn, “You ought to be more careful,” he said huskily sending shivers up my spine.

Before I could respond, Ash reached into his pocket and pulled out an aquamarine coloured, crystal phial. My skin tingled at Ash's touch and with an exaggerated flourish he poured two drops of clear liquid onto the angry red patch on my arm.

The liquid made a sizzling sound as it came in contact with my skin yet there was no pain just a delicious cooling sensation. I gazed at my arm in wonder as the damaged cells of my arm knitted themselves back together and the redness faded back to a white hue.

Ash pulled on my arm and I allowed him to steer me out of the room, as we walked down a brightly lit corridor I gaped in awe at the luxurious décor. The hallway was carpeted in a plush, red carpet, the walls were covered in cream silk and several tapestries and paintings hung on the walls. Marble statues and huge suits of armour stood proud as if they took great delight in serving the vampire queen and crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling bathing the entire corridor in a warm, golden glow.

I wondered if this was what Ash had referred to when he had told me that I'd like the manor, I felt out of place standing in a lavish, vampire estate after living in a council flat for several years but even I could appreciate splendour, clearly money was not a problem for the vampires here.

As we reached the end of the corridor, Ash flung open a grand wooden door I realised that we were in a ballroom. Tentatively I walked across the parquet flooring and admired the bay windows framed with velvet curtains. Wrought iron chandeliers were suspended from the ceiling and at the other end of the room leaning against an ivory coloured wall, was Cinder.

I stiffened as we walked across the room; Cinder was wearing a black shirt with the top three buttons undone which revealed his taut pectoral muscles and a smattering of chest hair. He was smoking a cigarette, the ember glowed a vibrant shade of orange, contrasting with the sickly grey of the ash which was accumulating. He paused and indifferently tapped the ash of his cigarette marring the beautiful floor.

I could feel my breath catch in my throat as I stared at him, each of his movements fascinating me... I mentally chastised myself, I hated this guy, he’d left me gasping and writhing in pain and he’d left. I felt a pang in my chest as I stared at him once more, I hated him so much yet even I could not deny the attraction which I felt for him.

As we drew closer he smirked and I bit my lip but he wasn’t staring at me; he was staring at Ash.

“Ah, Ash Sanguinolency, the guardian and advisor of Evangeline Schwarz…Slowly you’ve worked your way up from the bottom, impressing the others with your slimy charm, but to me, you’ll always be scum,” whispered Cinder.

I glared at Cinder, as he provoked Ash and the atmosphere became increasingly more uncomfortable.I couldn’t understand why Cinder would detest his mother’s advisor.