Chapter Twenty Four *

I finally stopped screaming when Sophie clamped a hand over my mouth. Ash fell upon Masquerade's neck and her corpse dripped fresh blood. My fangs lengthened and I willed them to retract, how could I even contemplate the idea of feeding whilst facing my friend's corpse?

There was a crashing noise from outside and Ash stopped feeding and grinned as four vampires descended the stairs and entered the hideaway; there were three females and one male.

One of the females was an older woman, she wore a long fur coat and had sharp talons which were painted red. She wore black, spurred boots and her black and white streaked hair was scraped back. She reminded me of Cruella De Ville. Her hand gripped the arm of the male and I guessed that he was her husband. He wore an old fashioned black suit and a tailcoat, a pocket watch was attached to his belt loop. Both sported the distinctive, black ringed eyes and grey complexion.

Flanking them were two younger girls, the older of the two had bronze toned ringlets, she seemed almost victorian with her black ruffled dress, she appeared approximately my mother's age; although her skin was wrinkle free and smooth like alabaster, her eyes spoke of life experience. The other girl appeared to be my age, with cropped, white hair and a multitude of ear piercings. I was aware of Sophie removing her hand from my mouth, I wondered if that was to allow me to scream.

“May I present, the founders of the rogue coven Demonia Coldan and Corbett Umbra,” Ash gestured to the older couple and I tried not to gulp, I had a feeling that I wasn't going to exit this place alive.

“Amelia Umbra, the wife of the deceased Everett Dracul, daughter of Demonia and Corbett and sister of the deceased Aura and Devlin Umbra,” Ash waved a hand at the red headed vampire and she hissed menacingly at me.

“Let us not forget Mackenna Dracul, daughter of Amelie Umbra and Everett Dracul,” Ash nodded at the blonde girl who was grinning manically.

I didn't respond, panic had truly set in now that I was outnumbered six to one. I wondered if they were planning on killng me instantly or draggng it out starting with torture. I no longer felt invincible, ironically I'd felt safer as a human.

“You have caused us a lot of trouble Miss Noire, you and your precious Schwarz coven. Thanks to your family I have lost a daughter and two sons, my granddaughter is a half orphan and my daughter is a widow, I think it's safe to say that you've dealt yourself a hand of death,” Demonia spoke with a cold fury and I winced at her words. Her coldness teamed with Ash's current manic state did not bode well for me.

“You stole my humanity and dragged me into a world that I didn't want to be part of, you attacked and killed several vampires from the Schwarz manor and my friend is dead!” I exclaimed angrily.

Corbett took a step forward, “You know Miss Noire, your survival has been nothing but trouble, I speak on behalf of all my family when I say that we are going to rip you apart and enjoy every second of it...”

“Not if I have anything to say about it!” Called a voice.

There was a blur as several other vampires dropped down the stairs and shoved the rogues forward, my rescuers stopped at the foot of the stairs and my eyes widened as I saw Cinder, Shade, Desdemona and Thorn in front of me.

“Salazar is on his way!” Desdemona called.

I didn't respond and there was a forboding silence as each vampire glared at one another, then in perfect synchronicity they began the battle.

Cinder rushed straight to me and in one fell swoop, seized the ropes in a fist and ripped them from my wrists and ankles knocking Sophie over in the process. I stood up shakily and massaged my wrists.