The Hanging Tree

Chapter 14- The Hanging Tree

The sound of a gun shot jolted the girl awake, she knew she needed to be helping, evidently guilt took over her body and the blonde rose sliding the long sleeve over her head walking out of the gate. Bellamy was preaching his usual words, he was scared, of course he could never show it. The way Cora was brushing him off didn't help either, he was trying to control, lead, and inspire while keeping himself awake. "The bomb on the bridge bought us some time to prepare, but that time is up. The grounders are out there, right now. Waiting for us to leave picking us off one by one when we do. Clarke, Finn and Monty are gone. Probably dead. And if you wanna be next I can't stop you, but no guns are leaving this camp. This camp is the only thing keeping us alive."

"Hey!" In the midst of his speech a perky voice came out of no where. The blonde walked between Raven and Jasper squeezing his shoulder. "Listen I know that we're tried, more like exhausted, but we have to deal. If you literally cannot keep your eyes open, give me your gun and go take a power nap or some bullshit. Or maybe you just power through, I know Monty, Finn, Clarke they're not here. But that doesn't mean we freak out," she paused glancing at Bellamy.

"When we first arrived it was whatever the hell we want, it's not the same anymore. We're not the same anymore. We are the 100 through thick and think we deal with our shit as we get it. So let's get back to work, and defend our camp." Her words calmed the group they nodded seeing how reasonable she was being. She walked after Bellamy, "hey dumbass." She followed him back into the camp. "Would you stop for a second," she pulled his shoulder back.

"Oh so now you talk to me," he snapped back at her, she tilted her head slightly at him but then smiled at some of the working campers. The blonde slightly angered, grabbed him by the ear and pulled him into the drop ship, he walked in wincing for a moment before she brought her fist to his cheek.

"Quit acting like a complete and total jackass. You can't keep acting like its the end of the world. What you did that's not inspiring that's de-spiring or something. I'm flipping shit too but I don't treat them like shit. They are human beings. So no more being a jackass okay?" She demanded as he recovered from the punch. He nodded grabbing his face rotating his jaw a bit before while she climbed up the ladder. She got to the top quickly releasing her anger into the metal wall, bringing her fists back to her body she winced moving her fingers around checking for anything broken.

Muffled voices came from below the level, she could make out Jasper's and Bellamy's voice. Cora knew Jasper was mad as was she, she wanted to go find Clarke, Monty, and even Finn. They all belonged here, at the camp. Jasper climbed the ladder and jumped a bit seeing the blonde sitting rotating a bullet in her fingers. "Hey," he said making his way to the bin of gun powder. Raven was very crafty in telling people to leave the gun powder alone. A note stuck on saying, 'Gun Powder! Crap will blow off your face!'

"I'm sorry," she caught his attention as he poured some gun powder into the tin can. "I mean I could've done more to try and find them, to find him." She spoke softly her eyes not peeling away from the bullet. 

"It's not your fault, none of this is because of you," he reassured looking down at her.

"Promise me something."

"Anything."

"You'll quit giving Bellamy shit. I know he's being a jackass, I think he's on his man-period personally." They both giggled, "but he is trying."

Jasper nodded, "yeah okay. I'll lay off Bellamy, only cause you asked so nicely." She smiled as Jasper continued walking down the ladder. The blonde remained on the second level playing with bullet the sound of a bang caused her to perk up she headed towards the hatch before stopping as the drop ship began to vibrate. The door was closing. Cora looked down the hatch seeing Murphy holding a gun to Jasper, the boy had his hands raised was also facing the blonde. She laid flat on her stomach her hands lightly gripping the edge.