Shooting Stars

Chapter 6- Shooting Star

"Get her to medical bay, now!" Cora could hear the distant sounds of a motherly figure shouting. She could hear wheels squeaking as she lied on a push bed. Lights flashed as she slowly tired to open her eyes, she could feel small bumps every time she passed through a doorway. "Move you get out of the way, I need needle, thread, disinfectant and get her sedated. Alex I need you to into the medical records see what kind of blood type she has."

"On it," she heard Alex saying then the sounds of footstep running off.

"Cora honey, you're gonna be alright," the motherly voice had come back. She'd recognized it but she couldn't put the words to the face. Soon the blonde blue-eyed fourteen year old girl was out cold. Alex sat next to her bed waiting for her to wake up.

"Six years old, what kind of person does that to a six year old girl?" He asked looking Cora sleeping.

"I voted for him to float, so did Kane, but everyone else knew they needed his brains."

"She barricaded the door Abby, she wanted to die. She's fourteen and she wants to die," he held her hand in a firm grip close to himself.

"She needs you Alex," Abby paused looking at her body, it had a weak look so helpless. She was pale and had a light layer of sweat covering her forehead and cheeks.

"How am I supposed to help her?" He asked looking up as her.

"Alex, she doesn't need a father, she needs a brother."

"Abby no one has a brother how am I supposed to be a brother when there's not even an example of one."

"Become the example, I've known this girl since she was born, I don't want to see here go down hill any farther. You have to promise me you'll make her worth something."

"I promise," he said both of their attention was drawn to Cora as she started to move.

"Mhm- Alex? Abby?" She winced at the brightness of the light seeing the two figures of the adults.

"Hey kid," Alex smiled still holding her hand, she went to sit up looking at them dizzy.

"Easy, you um lost a great amount of blood and your kinda filled up on meds."

"So I'm baked?"

"Liked a cake."

"Cool, probably the only time I'll be able to get high so rainbows and unicorns here I come," she laughed lightly looking at them.

"Cora, we need to talk," Alex said slightly looking over his shoulder at Abby. She nodded and walked off checking out other patients.

"I know, I um tried to kill myself, I guess this isn't something I can laugh off huh?"

"No. You can't, they wanna put you on anti-depressants."

"But I'm not de-"

"Cora if you weren't depressed then what would be so bad for you to feel the need to kill yourself?"

"Olivia," she spoke softly looking down.

"Olivia? The girl who killed a girl in her class and was floated?"

"No, that's the Liv you know. I know someone who was bullied and beaten and wrongfully killed and then I had a nightmare and I just, I don't know I guess I just didn't wanna be alone," Cora felt tears gloss over her eyes.

"Cora, are the nightmares coming back?"

"No, well maybe," as she blinked a tear fell down her cheek. "I just, there's so much pain and I don't know what to do about it. I'm scared Alex. I'm scared of being floated, of what's gonna happen when I get older. If he's going to come back one night. I just have all these emotions and I have no idea what to do and it hurts so much there's just so much pain and I don't know what to do about it," by now tears were stream down her face, Alex got up and sat on her bed engulfing her in a hug as she sobbed in his arms.