Five: Shifting

***Moon's P. O. V.***.

Today, Crescent and I have to get some business stuff done for the pack, so the kids are staying home alone. Eddy is coming with us though. Now that Eddy and Devon have been mates for a few months now, they alternate living at each other's houses. The boys spend one week here, one week there, and then one week apart. That way they can see each other frequently but we still get alone time with our baby boy. It's the last day of our off week right now (Saturday), and nothing could make Crescent leave Eddy at home. He treasures his time with him even more now.

"Okay, guys! We're heading out!" I yell up the stairs. "Be good! Call us if anything happens! You know the rules!"

"Yes, Papa!" they all reply. Well, except Peter. He's just standing there scowling.

***Nathan's P. O. V.***

I've been feeling kind of weird today. I don't know what's wrong with me! I can't even describe what I'm feeling, it's just odd. I feel anxious about it.

"You're doing it again," Charlie says in an agitated voice as we start playing our video game.

"I-I have to do this. I have to click the X button thirty times when we start. You don't have to sound so annoyed, you know!"

"I'm just worried," he says, turning his attention back to the TV.

"Why?" I ask.

"I think you have some kind of problem. Maybe you should tell Dad."

"N-no! There's nothing wrong with me! That's so rude of you to say! Just 'cause I like doing things a certain way doesn't mean I have issues," I retort.

"I don't know," he narrows his eyes.

"Please don't tell," I say timidly as I shrink back.

He doesn't reply. He turns his gaze back to the screen, beginning to maneuver his character where he wants to go.

"Promise you won't tell!" I shout.

"I can't do that," he says calmly.

I glare at him, feeling my anger rise. How dare he say that there's something wrong with me? Tears come to my eyes. I never cry, but he's really making me upset.

"I'm sorry, Nathan. I didn't mean to make you cry," he says, moving in for a hug.

"Just stop it!" I stand up quickly, backing away.

My teeth begin to elongate. I recognize this as the first sign of shifting, but I can't stop it! My body completely changes to that of a huge wolf. I bare my teeth and snap at Charlie. What am I doing?? It's like I have no control.

"N-Nathan?!" he yells in confusion, stumbling backwards.

I come towards him menacingly, growling. No, stop! This is your brother!

"Brother made us mad," something inside me growls.

It's my wolf. I try to negotiate with it. It can't make me hurt Charlie. I'd never be able to live with myself if something happened. My wolf ignores me and strikes out at Charlie, hitting him on the head. His eyes roll to the back of his head and he passes out immediately.

"No!" I scream internally.

I force myself to leave the room, damaging the door frame as I go. Ella is downstairs in the kitchen. Her mouth widens in awe as she sees me. I run straight past her, outside.

~~~About Fifteen Minutes Later~~~

I find myself butt naked in the middle of the woods as I shift back. I know that Papa keeps a basket of clothes near the front porch for when he shifts, so I run back home as quickly as I can. I cover myself with my hands, hoping I don't run into anyone.