Sixteen: A Plan

~~~Two Weeks After Joy and Charlie's Capture~~~

***Ella's P. O. V.***.

Dad and I sit quietly together, watching Eddy. He's finally shifted into his animal form. He's a deer, so we have to be extremely quiet as not to scare him away.

His coat is beautiful. It's the color of a rising sun, kind of orange and a golden yellow where the light hits it. He has little white spots on his back. I smile and breathe out slowly. He's so lovely.

I'm worried that someone will mistake him for a regular deer and something terrible will happen. We're gonna make him wear a brightly colored necklace from now on, and let everyone know to be more careful. They know he's a fawn, but now that's he's shifted we'll have to alert the pack again.

As much as I worry, nothing could ruin this moment of watching Eddy move around and explore in his new body. He moves a little deeper into the woods, sniffing the ground and listening to the birds chirping all around us. I pull out my phone and snap a quick picture, causing him to flinch at my movement. He looks so marvelous. It's breathtaking.

***Peter's P. O. V.***

I curl up in bed, not wanting to get up for the day. I've been awake since ten a.m., but I've been laying here thinking for hours. I miss Joy. My life is nothing without him. I'm angry at my father for not moving faster and rescuing him. I know he found the guy that alerted the blue wolves to the camp's whereabouts and exiled him, but what does that help really? I don't care that some random traitor conspired against Moon because of things that happened years ago. All I want is my Mate back.

~~~Much Later That Day~~~

***Moon's P. O. V.***

These past two weeks have been a nightmare for me. I haven't been eating or sleeping very much. I'm totally focused on trying to locate my Joy and Charlie. I've gathered the best minds from the clan to help me find them. I sit in front of my computer day in and day out, praying that I'll get word that they've been found.

"Honey, you should go to bed," Crescent says, peeking into our room.

"You know I can't do that," I reply, rubbing my temples.

"You've been working so hard. I'm really worried about you."

"I know, but I'm even more worried about the boys."

"But starving yourself and being sleep-deprived is not gonna help anything! Have you been praying lately?" he asks.

"Of course, but the Goddess doesn't listen to me. She never has, never will," I reply a bit spicily.

"Oh c'mon, Moon. Don't be like that. Go to bed. I'll stay up and make sure that you don't get any calls or messages. And if you do, I'll wake you up right away."

I gulp and slowly nod. I need the sleep. He's right that I'm not helping the search by being unhealthy. I just can't help it. It could be worse. I have a history of self harming, and I've been resisting the urge to do it ever since the boys were taken. I haven't felt this hopeless since my parents died.

"It's hard to go about daily life knowing that they're suffering somewhere out there," I say, letting Crescent tuck me into bed.

"I know. It sucks. I have hope for this situation, though. They're not dead. I searched the spirit realm for them and they're not there. As long as they're alive, there is hope," he replies, but I can tell that he doesn't believe a word he's saying. He's as torn up as I am.