Chapter Thirty: This Isn't Easy

***Crescent's P. O. V.***

Peter, Joy, and Mercy are the first to get here. Ella seems really happy to see her brother and his family. I'm glad to see her this way, because lately she's been avoiding me and acting strange. I wonder why.

I wake Eddy up from his nap when I see Nathan and Charlie pull into the driveway. He isn't too happy about being woken up, but he'll be fine. Devon isn't here because it's the off week this time around. Next week he'll go to Devon's house to sleep over.

Moon opens the door to let our sons inside as I set Eddy down on the couch.

"Hi, guys," Moon says.

"Hi," Nathan replies, smiling.

The boy I assume to be Valentine follows behind Charlie and Nathan. He keeps his head down and his eyes on the ground like Nathan said he does. I hug my boys and say hi to them before kneeling down to greet Val.

"Hi, Valentine," I say. "I'm Nathan and Charlie's dad. You can just call me Crescent if you like."

"You'll have to speak up," Nathan coughs, reminding me that Val can't hear well.

I repeat what I said, but really loud this time. Val shifts his eyes my way but doesn't reply other than that. I reach out with my powers, and everything seems to move in slow motion. The tips of my hair turn white and glow, moving slowly through the air like there's a breeze. I can sense Valentine's hardened and damaged spirit, and I work slowly to open it up to me. It's like a potter molding his clay, shaping it to his will.

Val brings his gaze up to mine, his expression softening from its worried one. I reach deeper into his consciousness, trying to dig up memories and find out a little more about him and hopefully comfort him. I can take my time, to everyone else in the room this feels like a split second. I can sense abuse and hurt in his past. What happened to you, little one?

He walks slowly up to me, his eyes welling with tears. I release my grip on his soul, and tears fall down his cheeks. His breathing hitches and I hold out my arms to him. He goes in carefully, cowering at first but falling into my embrace eventually. Nathan and Charlie look absolutely shocked. Then everything returns to normal time.

"Dad, how did you do that? He won't let anyone else touch him," Nathan says in awe.

"I looked into his mind and tried to bring him some ease. He's been through a lot in his short life, that much I can tell," I say, rubbing the boy's back gently.

I carry him to the couch to join the rest of the family. They resume eating and talking like normal. Valentine stays in my lap, sucking his thumb.

"That's a nasty habit," I hear Charlie whisper, looking at Val.

I shoot him a dirty look. We can work on getting Val to stop sucking his thumb later. Like, does it really matter right now?

Each of my kids attempt to greet Valentine, but they fail. Eddy seems personally offended by the rejection. He also seems jealous of the attention and physical affection the new boy is getting from me. Val clings to me tightly, not even looking at whoever tries to say hello to him.

He throws a complete fit when they have to leave. He cries and won't let go of me, biting anyone else who touches him. I try to calm him with my powers, but he's a tough cookie to crack. He's good at resisting me.

"Val, stop," I say loudly and firmly. "I'll see you again really soon. It's just a goodbye for now."

He shakes his head, burying his face in my clothes. I finally get through with my powers, and he soon relaxes. I put him down on the ground and pat his head, scooting him in the direction of his new daddies. He turns back around and hands me three silly bands from around his wrist.