Eighteen: Home

***Nathan's P. O. V.***.

I hold my dad's hand on the way to the hospital. It feels good to have physical contact with someone right now. It's keeping me calm.

Peter is fuming in the backseat. Lately he's been especially cranky. Not only is he depressed about Joy being gone, but the baby has been causing him quite a lot of grief as well. The reason for his rage at the moment is that Joy's parents aren't coming to meet us at the hospital. They've been traveling almost the entire time Joy was gone. They acted shocked and upset when they first found out that Joy was captured, but now they're acting like they don't care at all. It's like as long as he's alive and someone's taking care of him, he's not their problem. Shitty parents. . .

"Dad, if I'd just been rescued, you'd care enough to see me, right?! Like it wouldn't just be enough to know I'm alive, right?!" Peter says.

"Yes, but not everyone is like me. I don't personally think the way they're handling this situation is right, but you know there's no such thing as perfect parents," Dad says.

"Ugh, whatever. Not perfect is one thing, but not giving a crap about your own offspring is another," he grumbles.

Peter doesn't know that Joy might not remember him. He doesn't even know about the full extent of Joy's injuries. I don't think it was right of Dad to not tell him. He should have a fair warning.

We pull into the hospital parking lot. Dad squeezes my hand and smiles at me.

"Ready?" he asks.

"Mhm," I nod enthusiastically. "I'm expecting the worst, but I'm so excited to see my mate that I can't be unhappy or too worried right now."

"Good. Peter, are you okay?"

"I guess," he says quietly.

"Okay. Let's go."

He get out of the car and make our way to the entrance of the hospital building. Papa is waiting by the receptionist's desk. I hug him warmly, so glad that he's alright. Peter only nods slightly in his direction. Of course, Daddy and Pops have a crazy making out session as soon as they can get attach other. I try not to watch too much. I think it's really cute that they're still attracted to each other as they get older, but Peter obviously finds their love repulsive. The disgusted look on his face gives him away.

"Excuse me, but can we go see Joy now?" he says, interrupting rudely.

"Oh," Daddy pulls his lips away from Papa's, blushing. "Um, well, Moon, can we?"

"Peter, why don't you sit down," Pops says, gesturing to the little armchairs a few feet away.

"Um, sure," he sits down and places his hands on his swollen belly, waiting.

"I'm not sure if you should see Joy today," Papa says as Dad and I sit down too.

"What?! Why not?!" Peter says.

"Peter, shush. There are other people here," I say, looking around in embarrassment.

Papa sighs, "Peter, I don't know how much your dad told you about what's going on but I think it's safe to assume that you don't know everything. Joy's injuries aren't just physical. He was tortured in horrendous ways. He'll probably never be the person he once was. There's a chance that he won't even remember you."

"N-no, that's impossible! We're mates! He'll remember me! Y-you're wrong! I'm going to see him, and you can't stop me!" he says as he struggles to get up.