Chapter Twenty-Eight: Valentine

***Nathan's P. O. V.***

"I'm just doing this to appease my dad," I say.

"You shouldn't be so negative, babe. You never know what could happen."

We're on our way to the orphanage. Daddy suggested that we at least volunteer at the orphanage because it might be good for us. I'm not really excited about it. I wanted to sulk in bed all day, to be honest. I'm still upset with our situation and I need time to think.

I pull into the parking lot and park the car near the entrance. I get out and wait for Charlie, linking hands with him when he catches up to me. We go inside and ask an employee where to go, and she directs us to the main room where the kids play. We're supposed to wait here until one of the senior workers comes and tells us what we can help out with. For now, play with children.

I'm immediately shocked with the chaos of the room. Then again, what did I expect? Kids aren't quiet creatures.

"Hi, Mr!" one of the kids immediately runs up to us. "I know you! You're Luna Crescent's and Alpha Moon's kids, right?"

"That's right," I say, nodding.

"Oh," he giggles. "Okay. You wanna come play with me? I'm all alone. . ."

"Sure!" Charlie says. "What are you playing with?"

"Star Wars toys," he says, taking my hand and leading us to the area he's playing in.

"So what's your name?" I ask.

"Peyton," he replies. "Here, you be this guy."

He hands me a Luke Skywalker figure. Charlie gets a Han Solo one. We play with Peyton until he gets called away to do something else.

"I wonder where the senior employees are. . .?" I wonder out loud.

"I heard they're actually wrapping up adoption paperwork with a family. I'm not sure how long that'll take," Charlie replies.

Suddenly, a little boy comes in, flailing and screaming in a worker's arms. Snot runs out of his nose as cries. The worker angrily plops him on a stool in the corner, facing the wall. She smacks him, shouting at him to be quiet. It only makes him cry louder. She tucks her messed up air behind her ears and sets a timer.

"Don't move until the time is up!" she barks.

"Yikes," I whisper to my mate.

"I wonder what happened. . ."

"Regardless, that worker lady was awfully rough with him. That's kinda not okay," I mutter.

The timer goes off in three minutes. The worker tells the kid he can leave and go play if he wants, but he's still to upset and he stays put. Something draws me to him, and I walk over. I don't even know why I'm going over to this random child. Charlie follows.

"Um, hi," I say, and suddenly there's a warm blue light surrounding him and a pleasant smell hits my nose.

It's just like when I discovered that Charlie was my mate, except the glow surrounding this boy is blue and not gold.