Chapter twenty one

The ball was in a few hours and I was still sad about the art competition and my parents. Nathan called to ask if I was alright, I told him I was fine and he said he'll pick me up at eight for the ball. I'm a little excited cause I've never been to a ball and I'm going with Nathan, I think this will be fun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its official......

My best friends are magicians.

Whitney was in charge of my make-up and Sam took care of my hair. My make-up was spectacular, she gave me a pair of silver earrings to finish the look and my hair was in an upbraided bun with a silver bow, for the first time in my life I actually think I look good, I couldn't help but smile at my reflection in the mirror. I held my glasses in my hands debating whether I should wear them or not, I'm not totally blind with out my glasses so I can skip it for a night.

I'm sure mom and dad will be proud of me................ If they ever make it.

I saw my smile turn into a sad smile, I felt like crying but I didn't want to ruin my make-up, Whitney worked so hard on it. I turned to my best friends and gave them a sad smile, they both squeezed me into a giant bear hug. We heard a car horn outside, Whitney and Sam ran to to front door to tell Nathan the 'dos' and 'don'ts' of a fancy date. I took a last glance of myself before walking downstairs.

Once I saw Nathan every thing was in slow motion, Nathan looked so good in his suit, the suit fitted his body perfectly his hair was in a slick & high shine hairstyle with his glasses, he looked hot and sexy in a nerdy kind of way. I walked up to him and smiled but he didn't say anything, he had the same look he had when he saw me at the party.

Star struck

"Hi", I said giving him a little smile.

"Oh h-hey h-hi", he stuttered.

"Y-you umm y-you look umm...", he took in a deep breath, held my hands and looked into my eyes.

"Crystal you look amazing ", I felt myself blush.

"Thanks, you look great too".

"And if you don't want to go I totally understand, I know you're sad and I don't want you to feel worse. Besides who wants to spend the night listeningto stuck up judges ramble on".

I pondered a little about my options but I couldn't let Nathan down.

"No it's all right, I want to go,"  he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box with a red bow, I gave him a puzzled look and opened it. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, it was a silver paint brush and color pallette necklace, it was amazing. I looked at him the tips of his ears were red.

"Nathan, this is....this is amazing, but you didn't-"

"I wanted to, I want you to know even if those stupid judges can't see you as an amazing artist, I can. Here let me help you put it on," I felt Nathans warm hand on my neck and the cold silver on my skin.

"There you go, you look gorgeous," what Nathan did was so nice, I've never gotten something like this before it meant so much to me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and gave him a big hug he hugged me back, we were in that position for a while until I heard someone clear that their throat. I forgot Whitney and Sam were here.

"Awee that was so romantic, Nathan's so sweet," Whitney gushed. Nathan turned light pink and we all chuckled, he looked into my eyes and I smiled into his, we were like that for a couple of seconds.

Are we in a staring contest or what?

"Umm I hate to break up this beautiful moment but I think you guys are going to  be late," Sam said. Nathan held the car door open for me and jogged over to the drivers seat and drove off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The park looked amazing, the trees were adorned with colorful lights, there were streamers and balloons every where, the park benches were decorated with ribbons, stars and fire flies lit up the sky, there was a long table full of food and drinks of all kinds, waiters and waitresses were serving food, people were mingling, dancing and there was a huge stage with a DJ playing some nice songs, it was a nice sight.

To be honest I was having fun Nathan and I danced, we talked while sipping cocktails- nonalcoholic obviously don't want to throw up on Nathan and ruin his suit- every thing was going great until it was time to announce the winner. The mean lady judge was presenting the award to the winner, she was wearing a red sparkly floor length dress, although she's a Grinch she looked nice in her dress.

The DJ ended the song when she took the stage, she was smiling and I mean like actually smiling.

So a person with a frozen heart can smile, who'd have thought?

"Hello ladies and gentle men..." she was about to announce the winner and I did not look forwar it.

"This person went outside their imagination to make something outstanding...."

I wonder who that could be.

"This art piece had so much meaning so meaning, so much passion, it had a story it conveyed a message..."

How could she say I was a naive artist and call my drawing meaningless.
Who does she think she is? Some kind of art judge...

Well she is but you get my point.

"So with out wasting further time, the winner of Brownwood High Art competition, who will receive a scholarship to the worlds most prestigious art school, a plaque of recognition and....."

I wonder who the winner is, maybe they'll give me some tips on how to be a better artist.....or should I just forget about art totally.

"...is Crystal  Maxwell"

Who's Cryst- wait did they just say Crystal Maxwell............

I won?