Chances part 1

A/N: I have become tired of dragging the torture of a cliffhanger out. Here is the next part! Sadly I am going to be really busy for the next week so the next part might take awhile. I promise to try to finish it before it gets to crazy! So for the time being, ENJOY!

Jeff

I stared at Jane, waiting for her to respond. Her hair was mussed from my unceremonious handling of her and she looked startled that I was still here. Perfect swirls of moonlight fell around her wrists and ankles like ghostly shackles that held her fast and kept her from running away from me. I wondered fleetingly if I had broken her like a child might break a fragile toy.

"Talk about what?" she asked at last, assuaging my fears that she would remain mute forever.

I stretched, then settled comfortably with my back against the railing. "About us."

The words hung in the still air for a second before Jane shattered them with "There is no us."

"I beg to differ." I whispered happily. "Every night that you tried to kill me, there became increasingly more us." I lifted my hand up to the blueish moonlight to examine the wounds she had left there. The cuts were deep, but not serious. I lowered my hand slightly in order to see Jane's shocked expression fully. It was glorious in its disbelief.

"You knew?" It was adorable how naïve she was. "You knew and you didn't stop me?"

I smirked. "Of course I knew, Jane. What kind of pitiful bastard do you take me for?" She muttered something I didn't catch. I could guess at what it was though. "I knew I was safe because," I reached a hand forward and casually flipped some of Jane's long black hair over her shoulder. "You would never kill me."

Her fierceness leapt from her like the cornered animal that she was. "What the fuck makes you think that I wouldn't have killed you any one of those nights this past week?"

I shrugged ever so slightly. "I guess I just know you, Jane. We are an awful lot alike." Her shoulders relaxed imperceptibly. I knew, even if she didn't, that my words were having a relaxing effect on her.

"Then why don't I understand you?" she muttered.

"Maybe because I'm better at hiding. Maybe because you don't pick up on things as well." I take out my knife and clean it, just to do something with my hands. It gleams in the most captivating way imaginable, and soon Jane's eyes are riveted to it as well. Her defences melt like crayon under a hot sun. Once I feel she's as open as she's going to be, I hiss, "What is it you want to ask me, Jane?"

Still captivated by my blade, it takes a moment for her to answer. "Why does Sally think you care about me?"

I laughed, shaking my head in amazement. "Sally sure is a quick one, isn't she?"

Jane looked up into my face quickly. "That isn't an answer."

I leaned close to her and, staring hungrily into her beautiful dark eyes, whisper, "Yes, Jane I do care about you. Quite a lot in fact." Her shock was priceless. "What?" I asked innocently. "I thought you knew!"

"I-I never-" I watched as she tried desperately to hold her supposed reality together with the few strands of belief she had left. "No, you don't!" she said wildly. "You tried to kill me!"

I settled back to my original spot and chuckled darkly. "That was before I knew who you were. I had no idea you were such a fierce, beautiful woman that night. In my position, how could I have cared at all for you that night?"

"Stop talking shit, Jeff." Jane begged desperately.

"I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about." I gave a short bark of laughter.