Chapter 13 - Birthday Gifts and Swaying Hips

***August 3rd***

"Allan, come on, we have to get Becca something for her birthday before we go to therapy," I say pulling him by the arm. "We need to leave now, come on."

"I'm coming, I'm coming," he grumbles. "At least let me put on some pants." He picks up a pair of sweatpants once I release his arm. He slides them on and takes me out to the car. I wave to Becca and Eliza who are standing in the front window. Allan helps me into the car and loads up my chair, just like usual. 

"I'm so excited Allan, I'm sorry I'm making you get out this early, I just forgot to go earlier."

"I know, I know. But today we get to bring your prosthetic home. You'll be able to walk around the house again." The mere thought sends shivers through me. I had been dreaming of this for what seems like forever. Allan starts up the Jeep and lets his arm rest around my shoulders. We ride through town, no trains today. We stop at the music store and start looking around. 

"So she's still playing that old, gross, school saxophone, isn't she," Allan asks.

"Yep, I have enough money saved up to get her a nice rental for this year." We walk up to the counter and I write down my name and talk to the man at the register. 

"Your clarinet should be in tomorrow morning, about 8:00, whenever you want to come pick it up."

I say a quick thanks before hurrying outside with Allan close behind. Once we are in the car Allan turns down the music we had blasting, only after being startled when he started the car. He lets his hand rest on my thigh as he drives down the road.

"We're going to be really early," I say. "We'll be waiting for a while."

"I'm sure Maddie will be able to get us in a little earlier today. After all, you're getting to come home and walk, she's gotta get you ready for that."

"I guess." His smile broadens showing his bright smile. After a few more minutes of driving, we roll into the parking lot and I check the time. 11:15, I have 15 minutes before I should actually be starting.

"Let's get going," he says, his smile still not fading any more than mine. He pulls out my chair and helps me down and then pushes me inside. We are greeted by the receptionist as we see Maddie come out from the back hallway and start chatting with another woman. She notices us and comes walking over, a smile plastered onto her face.

"You two are here early today," she says. "You were just too excited, weren't you Jessie?"

"Definitely," I say, a grin breaking through my lips. "I can't believe I'm going to be able to really walk at home again." 

"Well you better believe it, Jessie. Come on back, I can get you in early today." She waves for us to follow her and we end up in the same room as usual. Maddie picks up 2 canes that had been leaning against the wall. They had little handles to hold and braces against the backs of my upper arms. She helps me into them and helps me stand, making sure I don't lose my balance after my first couple steps. I move about the room, gripping the canes tightly as I walk. I turn back around to see both Allan and Maddie, bright smiles across there faces. 

I walk slowly back towards them and Maddie suggests going for a walk around the office. She opens the door and follows Allan and I out into the hallway. I take slow steps throughout the building. Once it is time for the end of my therapy, I'm able to walk out to the car without my chair. My smile hadn't faded from the time we left that room for my walk, to the time it took to make it to the car. I step up and Allan helps me swing myself into the Jeep. Once we are both into the car and the wheelchair is all loaded up, I can't help but stare at my newly working leg.