Chapter 15 - New School... New Me?

**August 11th**

I slam my hand onto my clock as soon as it wakes me up. It's 5:30 and I have to get ready to take Becca to her school, then head over to mine. I roll off the side of my bed, grabbing my leg as I pull myself to the edge. I strap it around my waist and connect it to my stump. I grab my cane and stand up, wobbling for a moment before I completely regain balance. I walk out of my room to find a dark living room. Nobody's actually up yet. I walk into the kitchen and find Eliza, sipping a dark cup of coffee.

"Oh," she says tiredly. "You're already up. I figured you would've slept a bit later."

"Nope, gotta get up early if I'm going to get moving," I say, pulling a muffin out of the box. I eat it on my way back into my room. I make sure to shut my door before I walk back over to my dresser and pull out one of my nicer t-shirts and a pair of my old jean shorts. I sit down on my bed and slide into my shorts and pull on my new shirt. I pick up my brush and run it through my hair a couple times before pushing it up into a messy ponytail. I look in the mirror something doesn't seem right. I look around and see my beanie on the floor in the corner. I walk over and slip it onto my head. That's better.

I swing my door open and walk out of my room at about 5:50. I walk over to Becca's room and push open the door. I shake her shoulder to wake her up and I'm met with a groan. I pull the blanket off of her and she stands up, finally. I walk her out of her room, just to make sure she doesn't just lay back down, and send her into the kitchen with Eliza. I walk into my room again and pick up my old bag. I rummage through it and everything I'd need is there. I zip it up and toss it over my shoulder, walking out into the living room again. It was 6:00 when I hear Allan's alarm go off in his room.

He walks out just as I'm sitting down on the couch, and he's already dressed. He walks into the kitchen and walks out with a muffin, sitting down on the couch next to me, followed by Becca. We sit and talk for a few minutes about nothing really important. I glance at the clock and see that it is 6:15.

"Allan," I say. "We need to go, I have to be at school by 7 and you guys need to be there at 7:15. If we want to make it everywhere, we need to go now."

"Alright," he grumbles. He runs into his room and comes out with his bag swung over his shoulder. "I'm dropping you off first."

"Yup, now let's go."

Once we are all in the car, Allan starts the ignition and looks around. "I still can't believe you're going to Franklin," he says.

"I told you I'm-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know what you said. I just wish you were still going to Carlisle, that's all." We drive down the road in silence until we eventually pull up in front of Franklin High School. I see all of these people with their friends walking inside and around to the back of the school. I grip my bag and walk inside, saying a quick goodbye to Allan and Becca.

I walk through the main entrance and loo around before finding the main office. I'm greeted by the guidance counselor, Mrs. Gorga. "Hello," I say as I walk up to her cluttered desk. "I'm Jessamine and I'm not really sure what I should do. I'm new here and I just-"

"Hold on for just a second," she says. "Jessamine, is it?"

"Yes, Jessamine Taylors."

"Nice name," she says digging around through papers and folders on her desk. She pushes a button and calls for somebody to come to the guidance office. I'm not sure who but not long after she clicks the button back off a guy who looks a little bit older than me walks through the doors.

He looks me over and says, "This the newbie I'm taking around this time?" He smirks and walks up next to me and towards the desk. He has dark brown hair, even darker than Allan's, and dark brown eyes that seem to shine under the office light. He looks over at me and seems to be scanning my face. "What's your name?"