Chapter 19 - Pinky Promise

***August 12th***

I felt somebody shaking me as my vision starts to clear up a bit. "Jessie," a familiar voice calls, full of worry. "Jess, are you alright?"

"I-I'm good," I stutter. I wipe my cheeks and come away with salty tears streaking my palm. I look around and see Allan standing cautiously in front of me, Eliza standing just behind him, but something was missing. "Allan," I mumble. "Where's Becca?"

"She-she's in surgery," he says, shakily. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah I told you, I'm fine. P-perfectly fine." I start to trail off and I look around the near empty room. Allan's words start to set in and I realize what's really going on. Things start to flow back now. Cancer, Becca is in surgery because of cancer. She could've been dying for the past months or even years and I never noticed. How.... I let a sob croak out at the bottom of my throat and Allan rushes to sit down on the bench next to me.

His arm drifts around my waist and pulls my head to his chest. Too many times I've sat like this. Too many times he's had to comfort me like this. Too many times I've forced him to help me. Too many. I finally stop the stream of tears from coming and slide my head off his chest. "Allan," I whisper. "What am I going to do?"

"You're going to keep fighting." That's all he said. He spoke soft, but sternly, looking down at me with his deep blue eyes.

"How, Allan, how is it that simple?"

"It's not, but you are going to, for Becca, because she will make it out of this. She will come out and you can't stop fighting for her."

I turn towards Eliza and almost instantly she walks towards me, wrapping me in a tight embrace. "Jessie," she whispers. "We'll get through this together, I promise." She holds out her pinky and smiles at me.

"Pinky promise," I mumble. I can't help but smile when I think back on how many times Rebecca would make me do that, just to make sure I wasn't lying, although the more I think about it, the more it makes me want to cry. I link my little finger with hers as she stands back from me, returning to her chair in the corner.

****Some Time Later****

"Excuse me, is this Rebecca Taylors' room?" My head shifts up and I see a familiar face in the door. Justin was standing there, a box in his hand.

"Justin? What are you doing here," I ask, shrinking back next to Allan.

"I'm really sorry, I just- I got a call from the school, telling me you were going to be at the hospital for a while and not to worry if you aren't there. I just wanted to make sure you were alright," he stuttered as he spoke, his eyes shifting nervously between Allan, Eliza and I, almost like he wasn't as sure of himself around people when he wasn't at school.

"I'm fine, why would you care anyway?"

"I- Could I talk to you alone, please?"

"No, whatever you need to say, you can say in front of them." He let's out a long drawn out sigh and walks through the threshold of the room, standing in the far corner.

"I'm not like whatever Yarez told you," he says gruffly. "She's one of my old ex's, we only dated for about 2 weeks, she was insane. I'm not that bad." He runs a frustrated hand through his hair and glances at the door. "Look, if you want me to leave, I will, just say it. I only came here to make sure you weren't hurt." He pauses, looking all of us over a bit. "What happened anyway?"

"My sister has cancer. She's in surgery, possibly dying as we speak."

"Oh my God... Jess, I'm so sorry." He rushes over to me, but stops after looking over at Allan. He wraps an arm protectively around me as he looks over Justin.