Chapter 17 - Betrayed by My Thoughts

**August 12th**

"See you later, Allan," I say swinging the door of the dark Jeep shut. "Bye, Becks!" I wave to them both as they drive away, leaving me in front of my new school. I walk inside and see that the main room is already not nearly as crowded as it was yesterday. Although the school wasn't crowded, whenever I passed anybody I could feel their eyes on me. I wasn't used to it, and it's moments like these when I wish I could be Roxy all the time. I wish I could always be so confident and courageous as I was in those clubs. 

"Hey," I hear a familiar voice call. "Jessie, you're early." I turn around to see Justin, shutting his locker door and walking up to me. As I look around there were several other people, mostly enthralled in whatever they were doing with their friends or at their lockers. There were several still who turned their heads to look at me.

"Yeah," I mumble, trying to focus on Justin and not on anybody else. I mean, it isn't that hard, not with how his dark eyes seem to shine in the light in some odd way that just-. Never mind. "I, uh, I just like to, um, I just wanted to get here a bit early." I stutter through my words and force myself to pull my eyes away from him and onto the floor at my feet.

He laughs a little bit and uses his hand to tilt my chin up to look up at him again. "You seem a bit nervous, something wrong?" He drops his hand but I keep my head pointed up so I can keep looking at him. I smile and shake my head, breaking my gaze. 

I turn to walk down the hallway and I steal a quick glance over my shoulder and see another girl walk over to Justin. She had on a miniskirt that came close to letting her butt hang out if it weren't for her stockings keeping everything held tight. I cringe, but stop and turn, digging through my bag. I try to look like I'm just looking for something, but I keep looking over the two of them. 

The girl put a hand on his arm and flashed a smile as she took a short step in her heeled shoes toward him. Justin shrugs off her hand and shakes his head, a disgusted look on his face. The girl makes a pouty face and looks up at him with sad eyes. Justin looks down at her as she says something I can't quite make out. She walks into a connecting hallway, glancing at Justin on her way out. He turns on his heel and follows her back there and I swear I feel like I'm about to throw up. I zip up my bag and hurry off towards my first period class. 

I was the first one in there and Señora Jacks gives me a surprised look and checks her watch. "It's Jessamine, right," she asks softly. I nod and turn to my bag, pulling out my binder. "Well why are you already in here? You're really early."

"I know, I just thought I'd come in early today. I might start doing it everyday since I don't really know anybody," I say with a shrug. Jacks and I talk for a little while before the bell finally rings, causing a flood of people to amass in the halls and once in a while a couple would jump out and through the doorway into the classroom. Eventually I see Justin come inside, he was one of the last people in before the bell rang again, prompting Señora to get up from behind her desk. She began speaking to the whole class, but I turned to Justin. He flashes me a smile and runs his hand through his hair before turning away from the aisle between the desks, and instead towards the other side of the room, almost like he didn't want to look at me.

Oh well. I look back up at Señora as she keeps on talking about something like her family or something of the sort. I never really listened until the very end, about 30 seconds before the bell rang, and even then I can't even remember what it was that she said. I swing my bag over my shoulder and stand up. I pick my notebook up, off my desk, just as a piece of paper drops on my desk. I unfold it and read through it. Probably just another idiot... 

Meet me in the 2nd floor closet. It's important, come now.

I shrug and cram the paper into my bag before walking out of the room. It wouldn't be a big deal if I missed a little bit of 2nd period. I make my way up the stairs and down the second floor hallway until I find a door marked Janitor's Closet. I swing it open and walk inside, I'm met by a girl who looks almost my age with jet black hair and deep green eyes. "Jessamine Taylors," she says in a questioning tone. "I'm glad you came, I have something important to tell you."