Chapter 23 - Take Care of Her

****August 22nd****

It had been a week since I had went back to the house, and since then Becca has had to have 4 more surgeries to repair some damages. Her chances have went down slightly over the past week, but doctors say her condition has improved from last week. She finally got some more medications to keep the tumor from growing so rapidly.

"Jessie," Becca mumbles. "My belly hurts." Her doctor who had been doing her basic assessment turns to me and back to Becca again.

"Rebecca," the doctor says. "Does this hurt?" She presses a hand against her upper stomach region, right over where she had recently had surgery again. She only barely presses it against the wound when Becca cries out in pain.

"Stop it! Stop it," she yells. The doctor pulls her hand back and looks down at her.

"It's probably just your wound acting up, but we should take you up to get a scan, just to make sure." Becca nods and looks over at me with sad eyes.

"I'll be okay sissy, I'm getting better," she says hopefully. "I'll be back home in no time!"

"Yeah," I mumble halfheartedly. "You're getting so much better as the days go on!" I plaster on a smile and look down at my hands as a couple nurses wheel Becca out of the room again. Allan walks inside with a 2 bags of chips and tosses one into my lap.

"I thought you might be hungry. You've been up here all day, it's almost 3." Eliza had went home to get some rest since Becca was starting to get better. I was starving. I open the bag and pull out a handful of chips, cramming them all into my mouth.

"I know," I say, my voice muffled by all the chips. "I just didn't want to leave her alone up here while you and Eliza went off somewhere else. Now, if you don't mind, I have some schoolwork to do now that Becca is gone getting a scan." I pick up my bag that Eliza had picked up from the school. It held all my work and books and such that I needed for my classes for 4 weeks. Which means that essentially I could skip school for another 3 weeks if Becca gets out in a couple days.

"Alright, fine, I guess I should too." Allan picks up his bag and sits in the far corner of the room, spreading his mass of papers around him. I pull out several of my notebooks and start writing down problems and other things for my math and chemistry. I had an essay I had to do also for English.

After a little bit of time has past Becca comes rolling back through the doors with her doctor. "It was just her wound," the doctor says. "There's nothing to worry about." She flashes a smile and leaves the room, her black hair bobbing behind her. Dr. Westie hadn't been coming around as often now that Becca's condition was more stable.

"Becca," I say. "How are you feeling?"

"My belly hurts, but I feel okay. You should go home and sleep, I'll be okay." She looks at me and smiles one of her biggest smiles.

"I can't do that, I have too much work to do and I don't want to leave you here alone."

"Allan is here," she says. "He'll watch me."

"Yeah," he pipes up. "I will. Jessie, go get some sleep. You can do your school work when you get back. You need to get a good night's rest. Even if it is in the middle of the day."

"Are you sure," I ask them both. "I need to get my things finished anyway..."

"Yes," they say in unison. Allan continues though, "Go an get some sleep, Jessie. I'll take care of her." He flashes a smile and flicks through his papers. I stand up from my bench and walk first over to the bed, pressing my lips to the top of Becca's head, and next over to the far corner of the room where Allan sat. I pick up my old bag with my cash box and my phone, swinging it over my shoulder.