Chapter 34 - The Final Night

****September 18th****

I looked over my shoulder at Mrs. - my grandma as I walked toward the door. I turned my head from her soft eyes and reached for the handle. As I pulled the door open I heard a faint goodbye coming from behind me.

I had tears welling in my eyes as I walked down the hall, into the commons where Allan was still waiting. He was alone. Two periods had went by while I was chatting with Mrs. Song. He saw me coming and came quickly, noticing the tears in my eyes.

"Jess, what happened," he asks, cautiously. "What's wrong, Jessie?"

"Mrs. Song..." I mumble. "She's..." I furrow my eyebrows and look down at the floor.

"What is it Jess?"

"She's my grandmother."

"What?"

"My grandmother," I repeat. "My grandmother was- is Mrs. Song."

"What are you talking about? Is this some kind of dumb joke?"

"No,"I mumble. "Its not a joke. She married a man named Joseph Song. They had my dad and Joseph died when my dad was 14. Things happened and my dad disowned her for some reasons I won't say. She was never allowed to see me or Becca because of my dad. He took mom's last name so I'd never find her."

"What the hell," Allan mumbles. He shakes his head and looks down at me. "We should go, Jessie."

"Allan, I can't leave her. I only just met my grandmother."

"You've known her for a long time, Jess." He tugs me by the hand toward the glass doors. I had no energy to stop him, so I let him take me away.

"How could I have never known," I would mumble as we rode down the bumpy paths. "Why do I have to find out now?"

****

We arrive back at our house, for one final time, and I look at the dull, outside walls. Fresh tears sprouted from my eyes and I fell into Allan sobbing, "I'm so sorry, Allan. I took this all from you. It's all my fault."

He held me tightly and rubbed small circles around my back. "None of this is your fault Jessie, I promise. You've never taken a thing from me. It's all right, okay?"

I nod and look up at him, tears slowly running down my cheeks. He lifts his hands and wipes them away with his thumbs as he looks down at me with galaxies in his eyes. I open my mouth to speak but he plants a soft kiss on my forehead before pulling away, leaving me without words and sending shivers down my spine.

"Come on, Jess, we need to move the boxes," he mumbles, trying to move on from everything that had happened between the school, the extended drive around the town, and now. I trot after him as he walks through the open front door.

We are greeted by large men carrying the living room sofa out of the house and into the truck out front. I jump out of the way as they push their way past us, nearly taking me with them.

"Eliza," I call out. She comes bustling around the corner and smiles at us. "How much is left for us to get?"

"Oh, Jessie," she sighs. "You don't need to do anything. I'll get the last boxes and then I'll guide the truck to the new house. You and Allan can come up when you're ready." She pulls out a slip of paper and folds in into Allan's hand. "That's the address. I'll see you both when you come 'round tonight." She plants a kiss on Allan's cheek and offers me a hug before picking up a box and hurrying out into the driveway.

"I wish we could've helped," I mumble.

"So do I, but since we have nothing to help with," he says, a soft smile playing across his lips, "what do you want to do before we leave this old house?"