Chapter 17

Chapter 17

===========

Sasuke keeps staring at nothing in particular. He was perched on top of a tree, looking at the vastness of the forest they were in. He looked up in the sky and a solitary falcon encircles above them, moving slowly indicating that it was so high enough, around a few hundred meters above ground, as if it just passed them by, but he won't be fooled. No matter how innocently-looking that bird was, he knew it was from Konoha that serves as a lookout in the aerial part of Konoha's defense. He snorted.

"Sasuke, we're going now! We got clearance from Konoha," Yamato shouted from below.

Sasuke looked down at their captain. He never met Yamato when he was in Konoha when he was 12, but have met him several years later in different circumstances during those times when he was still thirsty for revenge. He had met him when Team 7 had infiltrated one of Orochimaru's hideouts. And he knew that Yamato was a special case, as he learned that he had carried a gene similar to Shodai (First Hokage).

His eyes flickered to the two companions that made up their team, and he frowned; he turned his eyes to where he was staring before and sighed. 

He was still not used to other people or rather being together with other people. He was assigned to a mission with Yamato as their captain and to make up for the standard 4-man cell in every mission, they were joined by a skinny guy named Masahiro who seemed too weary of Sasuke's presence, and a kunoichi named Mika, which obviously had her full attention directed towards the silent, grumpy-looking and ice-cold Uchiha. Both were still Genins. 

Sasuke didn't care about any of his companions at all. In fact, he thought, this mission was as boring as hell, but this was given by the Hokage, and he swore she was intentionally giving him missions that bore him to death. Just like weeks ago, Tsunade had assigned him with Kotetsu and all they do was dust the whole archive room. He was so pissed at that time that Kotetsu distanced himself from the flaring Uchiha. And he just noticed that all of them were around D to C Rank missions around the village. It was only in this current mission that he had finally stepped outside the village after five years. He really wanted to walk out every time she was in front of the busty Hokage, but he could still control himself from doing that and all he could do was shot her a deadly look, gritted his teeth, scowl, and hope that she'd get the message. It was to no avail actually which added to his irritation. 

But...he owed her so much...so much... even though he's so pissed every time she tried to switch on the gauge of his patience just to see that he's aggravated and watch him controlling his temper and rage. She enjoyed it....and Sasuke confirmed that the Hokage must have had a huge grudge against him...and he didn't know what or why!

He sighed. He just wanted to go home and take a rest.

Home.

It took him off-guard just thinking about it. It feels weird now that he was actually saying and thinking things like 'home'.

For he never thought he would still be here, on this moment, taking missions, walking with people, just being alive... being free.

Five years ago, he never thought that he would still be walking the streets of Konoha today...he already set his mind that he'll be sentenced to life imprisonment or death. He was so sure it was a death sentence. He knew that the only escape was inevitable death, for he was already tagged as an International S-Class criminal and he never expected neither pardon nor any chances that he'll get through life once again. He was a proud man, a characteristic an Uchiha was known for, and pity was the last thing he'll ask from people. He came back to Konoha for two things...to settle a score with Naruto, and to confirm something. Nonetheless, it was the least he had expected upon arriving and surviving the showdown with Naruto...