Chapter 40

A/N -  So chapter 39 had a little bit of switching between characters and so will this one, sorry if that sort of thing annoys you but I want to make the book more interesting as much as possible before I finish it up! ;( And this one has more switching between POV's, but it kind of get's my story across well :) 

*BEING PUBLISHED EARLY* 

Chapter 40 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ADDIES POV

I pushed onto the office doors, with Josh, Martha and Riley following behind me. 

"Scarlett?" I call, my eyes quickly scanning the main area. 

I look up the hallway but she's not there, which doesn't surprise me. I can't think of anywhere else she would be. Josh walks in front of me, deciding to check further up and into the sickbay. He calls her name but nothing. 

"Do we tell Mr. Armstrong?" I finally say, turning back to Martha. 

She bites her lip. "Well, have we definitely looked everywhere?" She asks. 

I try to think of any other place that she might be but there's none other that I can think of. 

"She didn't get to eat her breakfast, maybe she's eating?" Riley suggests. 

I force myself not to scoff. I don't know why I'd scoff at a comment made by Riley anyway, I get excited with anything he says but I find myself loving him less everyday. Nothing will ever happen and I know that. It doesn't bother me.

"No, she wouldn't take that long to just eat a plate of scrambled eggs and toast," I object. 

"Let me check anyway,' Josh says, 'I might even run into her if I find her," he says. 

I just shrug and let him go. He's right though, he might just find her looking for us. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JOSH'S POV  

I press on the office door.

"Will meet you back up in a couple of minutes," I say.   

The door swings closed and gently slams back into the frame. I'm starting to take what Addie says a little bit more seriously. There's no reason for Scarlett to run away or anything, especially when we finish in three days but where else could she be? And I've been here for so long, I know the gates are secure. Except for when my dad got in. I shudder at the thought of him. Couldn't even call him a father. He was far from one.   

But looking into the food hall, I see no one eating breakfast, just kids getting fruit from the basket for the hunt. 

"Josh!"  

I turn around at the sound of my name. It's Kayden, a kid I'm not extremely close with but he's been to Cormac before. 

 "Uh hey Kayden."  

"Hey, you never told me you broke up with Scarlett, dude, now can I go for 'er, I reckon she's pretty hot." 

But I'm shocked. What's he talking about?  

"Brok- wha - what are you talking about?"   

Kayden frowns. 

"So you didn't break up with her?"   

"No' I say, raising one eyebrow,  'and now I know you want her, thanks Kayden."  

He stiffles a laugh.