Chapter 24

Author's Note: Heya, how is everyone? Here is another chapter :) Hope you guys are loving this book :) 

Dedicated to: Peetas_Dog :) 

Story Quote: "Even if we were not together, I love him as friend, like when I was caring for him. I'd still be running after him, if he was just a friend."

Chapter 24

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

But when I burst through the door, I see no one. Were they really that quick? I wouldn't be surprised, Josh was so frightened of this man, he would have bolted. Maybe the man was quick also. I start to run. But where? To my left is the start of the forest. It goes down on a slight slope, and then the trees start. I'll head there. That's probably where Josh would have gone. So I pick up my pace. I hear people stopping near the exit door. The scuffling off their feet give it away. 

"SCARLETT!" I hear Addie cry. 

But I will not stop. The food hall disappears more and more as I finally reach the forest. Branches swing down in front of me and I try and dodge as quick as I can. From time to time I get the flick in the eye, which makes it run but I keep running. I stop when I come to a small open area with trees around me. Where do I go? 

"JOSH!" I scream. There is no reply. "JOSH!"

I keep running up, back up a slope now. I think I recognise where I am. From where we went on walks or from when Josh and I went on private walks. The shack, I'm sure is up that way. I jog a little. I would keep running, but I need to know if I'm going in the right direction. I continue listening. Then, I freeze. I'm stuck. I hear yelling in the distance and then, I hear Josh yelling and screaming and more sounds. I keep heading in the up direction. I need to get closer. 

On the way, I hear Josh yelling even more, but it's getting further away as I get closer. Why didn't anyone else come after him? Maybe they did, but couldn't find him either. I had to get there first. 

I continue running for a couple more minutes, and in the meantime, I hear Josh yelling more. I can hear him yelling, 'NO, NO, NO!" And I can't stand it. Even if we were not together, I love him as friend, like when I was caring for him. I'd still be running after him, if he was just a friend. I'm getting closer, and the nosies are getting louder. They must have stopped. "HELP!" I hear, "HEL-" But then the voice is muffled. "SHUT UP BOY!"

I'm getting closer. And there. The man has Josh pressed up against an old and ruined brickwall that's covered in thorns and weeds. His mouth is covered harshly with the mans right hand and the other mans hand is pressing Josh against the bricks.I think his arms are being pressed into the thorns. I kneel down and try and hide. I spot an old beat up car parked behind the wall. 

"If you -" I hear the man sneer, but he must have heard me, because he stops and turns my way. 

But he turns back to Josh. 

"Shut up!" 

Josh is trying hard to breath. It must be painful, his jaw has only just healed. I decide to get up now. 

"LET GO OF HIM!" I cry. 

Josh seems relieved that at least someone was trying to help him. The man quickly faces me. 

"Who are you, get away!" He growls. 

"N-no!' I reply. My voice is shaky. 'Get off him!" I yell.

With that, I run toward Josh and try to get the man off him but I'm not strong enough. The man backhands me and I fall to the ground. The hit wasn't too hard but I could feel the spot on my cheek bone pulsing. Josh tries to muffle some more words but the man presses his hand over his mouth harder. I stand up in no time. But the man lets go of Josh and pushes me over. I go rolling slightly down the slope. Josh is gone. He's managed to escape from where he was standing. The man swears loudly when he realise Josh has escaped from him. I hear Josh call out to me, but he still moves upward. Maybe he'd come round the side. I stand up and stagger up the slope. I see them just up ahead.